• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scrap Storage

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I am not scamming anyone. What I said was an aside to the post about scraps. I was saying since, you should already being doing an inventory anyway on your shop at least once a month. How, much more work is it to inventory your useable scrap substrates? Two different inventories. I wasn't suggesting combining the two.

When I lost my roof of the shop all the paperwork was gone either by being sucked out with the shirts & what was left was destroyed by water coming in since the roof no longer existed. (I mean totally 100% gone, not just some pieces missing) I never got paid for the missing shirts because, I didn't have records. I learned my lesson keep better records off-site for just these scenarios.

I had over 4,000 shirts in there because, we used close to 1,500 a week. We would buy in bulk to save money from the distributors & mills. So, we always had on hand inventory to fill orders.

Now, that we have both pirated the OPs thread maybe we can continue this discussion elsewhere?

Elsewhere would be good, but it still pertains to cataloging one's inventory. Just the part that you are trying to commit insurance fraud is the pirated portion.

So, now you're proposing cataloging two sets of records. Twice as much work as from your earlier statement. Seems like you never change your direction, no matter how intense your situation becomes. Why would it be, that the company from which you purchased said 4,000 T's didn't have records to show your insurance company ?? Was their roof blown off, too ?? I suppose the 4,000 recipients of those shirts also had their roof blown off and their quotes were sucked out, too ?? No record whatsoever of inventory, stock, orders or anything are to be found from several points ?? Seems very strange to me..... and perhaps that's the reason you never saw a penny from the insurance company. You literally had nothing and they knew it. Musta been that darned worm at it again. Tell me you didn't use that excuse with your insurance company............ :ROFLMAO:

HulkSmash

Gino, I am not scamming anyone. What I said was an aside to the post about scraps. I was saying since, you should already being doing an inventory anyway on your shop at least once a month. How, much more work is it to inventory your useable scrap substrates? Two different inventories. I wasn't suggesting combining the two.

When I lost my roof of the shop all the paperwork was gone either by being sucked out with the shirts & what was left was destroyed by water coming in since the roof no longer existed. (I mean totally 100% gone, not just some pieces missing) I never got paid for the missing shirts because, I didn't have records. I learned my lesson keep better records off-site for just these scenarios.

I had over 4,000 shirts in there because, we used close to 1,500 a week. We would buy in bulk to save money from the distributors & mills. So, we always had on hand inventory to fill orders.

Now, that we have both pirated the OPs thread maybe we can continue this discussion elsewhere?

Sorry addy, your stories never add up. Didn't the place where you ordered the 4,000 shirts from have record of you purchasing it? Also you couldn't tell your insurance company what equipment you had in your shop because you didn't take inventory?

John Butto

Adie to the insurance agent: yea, it was the big bad wolf that blew my roof off, yea, thats the ticket. (done in a Tommy Flanagan voice)

Locals Find!

Sorry addy, your stories never add up. Didn't the place where you ordered the 4,000 shirts from have record of you purchasing it? Also you couldn't tell your insurance company what equipment you had in your shop because you didn't take inventory?

We got paid on equipment lost, we got paid on some of the shirts that I was able to cobble records to from the suppliers. However, some of the stuff was bought as closeouts from distributors closing shop, other shops extra inventory etc.. I didn't get paid on all the shirts. That was the point I was making. If I had an itemized inventory of everything with paperwork offsite. I would have gotten more back.

Keeping an inventory log isn't that much work Gino. Its fairly easy to put into place and keep track of. Not having an inventory of everything in your shop is just wasteful.

If someone comes in and orders a 4x2 sign. I know whether or not I got it by simply looking on my computer. Without having to get up from my desk. I can then price out the job accordingly. Doing it your way I gotta get up dig around looking for something I may or may not have. Then quote the job based on ordering a whole sheet. My 30 seconds inventorying it saves time in the long haul.

Of course what do I know. Only every major company in the world from Walmart to 7-Eleven does inventory. So they must all just be wasting time like me.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
If someone comes in and orders a 4x2 sign. I know whether or not I got it by simply looking on my computer. Without having to get up from my desk. I can then price out the job accordingly. Doing it your way I gotta get up dig around looking for something I may or may not have. Then quote the job based on ordering a whole sheet. My 30 seconds inventorying it saves time in the long haul.

Whether I have a fall off laying around the shop or I have to order in a fresh sheet, the price is the same.

You charge according to whether or not you have the item in stock? What happens when your customer places a reorder? Do you charge them more if you don't have the material in stock anymore? Do you charge them less if you didn't originally have it in stock, but do have it on the reorder?

Locals Find!

Whether I have a fall off laying around the shop or I have to order in a fresh sheet, the price is the same.

You charge according to whether or not you have the item in stock? What happens when your customer places a reorder? Do you charge them more if you don't have the material in stock anymore? Do you charge them less if you didn't originally have it in stock, but do have it on the reorder?

Yes, I charge them less if its something thats already been paid for (Retail) and is in stock. I discount it on the invoice. Same thing anytime they order. If I don't have it in stock they don't get a discount.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We got paid on equipment lost, we got paid on some of the shirts that I was able to cobble records to from the suppliers. However, some of the stuff was bought as closeouts from distributors closing shop, other shops extra inventory etc.. I didn't get paid on all the shirts. That was the point I was making. If I had an itemized inventory of everything with paperwork offsite. I would have gotten more back.

Keeping an inventory log isn't that much work Gino. Its fairly easy to put into place and keep track of. Not having an inventory of everything in your shop is just wasteful.

Of course what do I know. Only every major company in the world from Walmart to 7-Eleven does inventory. So they must all just be wasting time like me.

Now, you're like multi-million/billion dollar companies with thousands upon thousands of employees with scanners and all kinds of equipment to help you. I had no idea your one-man shop was so sophisticated ?? :omg:

Sure, it's good to have an account of what you have and for the most part, we have that by simply keeping our records of what we bought vs. what went out the door. The leftovers are ours to do what we want. We put them on the shelves and bins according to size. Like fenris said... all jobs get quoted as being totally new stock. These left-overs are sometimes little money makers and can make you some quick easy money. Other times, it can go for the kid that wants a sign for his Mommy's kitchen wall or the old guy that comes in and wants 1958 prices..... or just for when I fell like being kind to someone opening a business and has no upfront money.

This stuff has already been paid for and by rights, belongs to that customer, but we don't give the the remainder of what it takes to do their job all of the time. Those pieces we put on our various shelves and in our bins are GRAVY.... short and sweet.

You're input is pure nonsense and no matter how much you back-pedal.... you're just wasting air and forum space with your junk. Let go of it Addie. You're caught once again. Plain & Simple. :Oops:

Locals Find!

Now, you're like multi-million/billion dollar companies with thousands upon thousands of employees with scanners and all kinds of equipment to help you. I had no idea your one-man shop was so sophisticated ?? :omg:

Sure, it's good to have an account of what you have and for the most part, we have that by simply keeping our records of what we bought vs. what went out the door. The leftovers are ours to do what we want. We put them on the shelves and bins according to size. Like fenris said... all jobs get quoted as being totally new stock. These left-overs are sometimes little money makers and can make you some quick easy money. Other times, it can go for the kid that wants a sign for his Mommy's kitchen wall or the old guy that comes in and wants 1958 prices..... or just for when I fell like being kind to someone opening a business and has no upfront money.

This stuff has already been paid for and by rights, belongs to that customer, but we don't give the the remainder of what it takes to do their job all of the time. Those pieces we put on our various shelves and in our bins are GRAVY.... short and sweet.

You're input is pure nonsense and no matter how much you back-pedal.... you're just wasting air and forum space with your junk. Let go of it Addie. You're caught once again. Plain & Simple. :Oops:

Gino, I didn't get caught at anything. Cause I haven't done or said anything wrong, illegal, unethical or immoral. I am glad your system works for you. Mine works for me. I grew up with computers so to me its no big deal. Maybe for an older guy like yourself it would be. Your way seems to work just fine, since you've been doing it 20+ years.

Your arguing with me over methodology though. Kinda seems dumb if you ask me. We all do things different. So, WTF are you trying to bring me down over?? That, I don't do things your way??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I didn't get caught at anything. Cause I haven't done or said anything wrong, illegal, unethical or immoral. I am glad your system works for you. Mine works for me. I grew up with computers so to me its no big deal. Maybe for an older guy like yourself it would be. Your way seems to work just fine, since you've been doing it 20+ years.

Your arguing with me over methodology though. Kinda seems dumb if you ask me. We all do things different. So, WTF are you trying to bring me down over?? That, I don't do things your way??

Not at all. It's obvious we don't do ANYTHING alike. Thank God for small miracles.... and some of you don't believe in God.......... :banghead:

I would stop coming down on you if you'd stop lying continuously. And yes... you did get caught. You got caught with all kinds of illegal things on your website, you got caught with other peoples' work on your website as being your own, you got caught telling lies here about things and then just simply denying it. You got caught telling people to do things and then back-pedaling every other post. You got caught offering people money for artwork and then not paying. I don't care what your reasons are.... you don't do what you say you do or will do. That in my book is a liar and a cheat.

I would like nothing more than to not always being up against you. You're very tiring, but amusing, so I play the game you start. If you notice, I never call you out until you say or mention something asinine.... which is just about every post you bring to the table.

It doesn't matter to me how you want to run your company/business or whatever it is you do.... it's when you come here and talk like an authority about something that could very easily hurt someone not in the know. You say things with such intensity that it's almost believable, but to some of these newbies... they listen to anyone. However, it's total neglect of someone not to warn them of you. You are harmful and it would be alright if you only harmed yourself, but you don't.

I don't care if anyone else does anything like us... or other shops, but at least when someone is being helpful here, whether or not one agrees with their method, it is not from a deep seated malice.... which you have. I don't know if it's jealously of others on this site... or if you're still pissed off from Charlie and not getting paid for 4,000 shirts which never existed, but something sure has given you a sour taste in your mouth about business. Learning to interact and deal with others is not a strong suit of yours, for sure, but why not listen more and only give help, when you know it's help instead of making chit up and then back-pedaling it for five hours to make someone go away ??

Gene@mpls

Back to topic?

This is my solution- sits behind my SSC H6 saw- lower level on one side
is 48" pcs, upper is 36"; other side is 24/18/12 and misc. Sorry about
the mess and not rotating the picts- we been *busy*.

Attachments

• DSC05935.JPG
    DSC05935.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC05934.JPG
    DSC05934.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 83

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha ha.. Gene..............

I take it, you have a lota people running into the ends of your panel saw at night..... huh ??

Smiley Graphics

I know this happens to other people and not just me but if there is something that gets thrown out, I will get a call in the next couple of days that I could have used the thrown out item for.

Definitely murphys law.....every single time i throw some printing out that has been in my shop for months they call the following week. Gets to me every time.

We usually toss scrap vinyl into a bin and when we have our nieces and nephews in the shop we give em $5 to measure and tape up the piece with the measurements on them and we only keep common colors and decent sizes. We also use it for our own small signs and things around the office.

When I do a shop sweep tho, it all goes in the garbage, so really we should just toss it from the get go and get over it. But to me it seems like I'm throwing money away, but I hate clutter. Catch-22

Gene@mpls

Gino- the saw used to be right inside the overhead door- made me nervous
with peeps backing their trailers in- that is the reason for the reflective.
It is a big Spidey- 10' tall. Made it 15 years ago when we had time.