• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

scratch disk?

WOODBS

i have an error message that said i can't resize an image in cs2, reason was the scratch disk was full. no clue what that is?? never happened before. anyone know? thanks brett

PMG

I use a partitioned external hard drive just for a scratch disk!!! 125 gig for scratch/125gig for backup!

mondo

what about deleting all files from Windows>temp folder? well probably not all. just .tmp extension.

OADesign

Yeah i learned my lesson long ago.

Even when you install PS for the first time, it recommends not using C: as the primary scratch disk. just go grab a cheap 80gig and use that as the scratch disk. Guaranteed you will see a performance boost in PS.

EnergyDesign

you can go to edit>prefs>file handling and arrange the way Adobe utilizes the space you have on your system, in CS3 you can increase/decrease the RAM PS uses....

WOODBS

just checking back , never figured out that pref setting yet, no scratch disc error but runs slow. today i couldn't even resize an image. tahnks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can also add a second internal drive and use it as your scratch disk. I did that with one of my workstations with only 1 GB of RAM and it resulted in a very noticeable increase in speed when working with large files in Photoshop.

cdiesel

I would think that an external hard drive as a scratch disk wouldn't be ideal--they're not as quick as internal drives.

Having a full scratch disk while you're using the C drive means you're out of space. Windows in general will start running sluggish, and PS will start throwing errors. Try cleaning things up a little for the short term, but long term, an additional drive used solely for the PS scratch disk/windows swap file is a good idea.