Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratches in Print During Application

Discussion in 'Summa' started by garisimo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. garisimo

garisimo Member

Oct 14, 2009
    USA
    Don't know if I should post this here or in wrap installation, but we are having some issues with Summa DC4 applications, especially on 651 Oracal Clear -- the print looks good (no scratches) but when the installer squeegies the film onto the substrate (reverse printed on polycarb) we sometimes get scratches -- we are using 3m Pa-1 gold applicators with 3m Sa-1 low friction sleeves. Any suggestions on application? Thanks!

-g-

Tags:
  2. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Vinyl is soft and will scratch when applying with even light force. It helps to use felt-covered squeegees (the sleeves/envelopes are lame in my opinion and tend to bunch up or wrinkle). Then spritz the felt with window cleaner to slide more smoothly ... I even spritz my wrap glove. The smoother sliding also helps the application go down more smoothly, with fewer wrinkles.

My $0.02,

Jim

3. x2chris7x

x2chris7x Active Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Louisiana
    If the print is laminated you can lightly go over it with a torch and it will remove the scratches...

4. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Yep, flame 'em out!

5. Fuzzbuster

Fuzzbuster Active Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Ottawa
    Big Bertha Flamage :rock-n-roll:

6. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    I wanted to bump up this thread and get more opinions. I just did my first wrap and have a lot of scratches on the laminate. Anyone else have suggestions besides wetting the felt squeegee and torching it afterward?

TIA
    -Nick

7. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH

That's about all you can do. If you're installing the new chrome wrapping films I recommend laminating them first, as the scratches do NOT come out of the unlaminated films. (and the customer cleaning the wrap will scratch the film also)

8. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Another option is to use the newer 3M 8548G Envision laminate.... it is rated for use on regular 180C vinyl (not just the new envision print vinyl). We have used it on several projects now. It does not scratch nearly as easy and as an added bonus also provides the only horizontal surface warranty out there.

Regardless - use a quality felt edge squeegee like a geek wrap one (wet the edge of it if you like). Then torch any scratches you do get in the lam.

9. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    NY
    +1 geek wrap or oshee are the squeegees i use when wrapping .... but even those scratch some but all the scratches go away if you post heat correctly