• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screen Calibration

avid banner

Does anyone know a easy way to calibrate your computer screen color settings? with out spending a lot of money that is.

Pippin Decals

Calibration color

In order to get correct colors you need a monitor calibrator... I bought a Spyder 4 express calibrator for my laptop. just a simple usb plug in and place the calibrator on your monitor and let it do its thing. It will also tell you when to re check as well and show a before and after calibration in colors. Very nice tool to have. Its made by data color, they run around 100.00 and up but you might find them cheaper ..They have a couple different models to choose from depending on what and how much you need to calibrate, I needed mine for photography and love it..

oksigns

The easy way means spending the dough on a screen calibrator or at least renting one where available. Otherwise, you take the time to find the black and white points, and some colors like various reds, greens and blues. Make sure your monitor is in tip top shape first. You want good white levels on your display- none of that "warm" or "cool" business. The display itself should be as non-biased to begin with.

Kwiksigns

wookie
I would have suggested a pantone huey but they are discontinued by X-Rite. you might be able to find one somewhere.

rjssigns

Monitor calibration is only one component of a color managed workflow. Controlling color on a monitor does no good if your output devices are not similarly controlled. Same goes for all input devices.

Very easy to spend a ton of money getting the correct equipment. You will also spend a lot of time on initial setup.

But wait, it doesn't end there. Once your complete system is calibrated you have to do it on a regular cycle to ensure repeatable output.

How far down the "rabbit hole" do you want to go?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Does anyone know a easy way to calibrate your computer screen color settings? with out spending a lot of money that is.

Before you pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to the local colorista activists and get yourself lost in that forest, never, ever, forget that what comes out of your printer is the truth, what appears on your monitor is not. Knowing that immutable fact should enable you to figure out the simplest way to deal with color. If not, then sell your gear and take up tatting.

It's a Nice Thing if they were to be the same but, unless you have hardware from hell, they;ll be close enough that you should be able to live with it. Especially if whatever software you're herding has a soft proof function. Perhaps by some other name.

If you're not printing, what does it matter?

avid banner

Very true. In reality the only issue I have is it prints darker than it appears on screen. That seems to be an easy enough fix. I do work for photographers they were preaching about how I had to get my screen calibrated. But after reading what you had to say. I think I will skip the calibration thank you.