• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screen printing question

Silver Star DC

Hey guys, I have a question about a job that I have been asked to quote.
This company has asked me to price around 40 shirts, with 5 colors on the front and 3 colors for the back. I'm still kind of new to screen printing but I am able to do multiple color jobs. My question is this...would this job be better as a 5 color job or would the 4 color process be better? I am open to any suggestions on this. I think the client will freak out when I price the shirts and set-up charge for this job. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 281

reQ

4 color process on dark shirts not always a good idea, you will need a white under base anyways. Just do it as a 5 color set up. If they don't wanna pay - offer them do simplify & make it 2-3 color job

Dennis422

5 colors front and 3 on the back on 40 shirts.
To be honest, I would not touch that unless they get up to at least 60 pieces.

I have a 12 piece per color minimum. (Looking at the side with the most colors)

And no to process, you would need white underbase as already said, but you would also need someone to separate that for you, which also costs money.

Good luck

reQ

5 colors front and 3 on the back on 40 shirts.
To be honest, I would not touch that unless they get up to at least 60 pieces.

I have a 12 piece per color minimum. (Looking at the side with the most colors)

And no to process, you would need white underbase as already said, but you would also need someone to separate that for you, which also costs money.

Good luck

Separation Studio software does pretty decent job (i don't do much color simulations but when i need it, it works)

P.S. At least 40 pieces on retail end. I have couple big retail sports stores & i do wholesale printing for them, sometimes they would need 12 pieces with 5 color print to be done... i hate when it happens but they bring lots of business.

Bretbyron

Hey guys, I have a question about a job that I have been asked to quote.
This company has asked me to price around 40 shirts, with 5 colors on the front and 3 colors for the back. I'm still kind of new to screen printing but I am able to do multiple color jobs. My question is this...would this job be better as a 5 color job or would the 4 color process be better? I am open to any suggestions on this. I think the client will freak out when I price the shirts and set-up charge for this job. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don't do this.

Don't second guess your prices and don't start undercutting yourself before you even get a reaction. If you think the piece price will be too high for them do a multi-quote for 40/60/80. A lot of them think less will be cheaper, show them it's not.

Also, I don't show setup anymore. Include it in the price per shirt and give them an OTD price. When they ask what the setup is, tell them it's free or included in the price, I usually get a smile or an Oh!?! from them.

signguypgh

That's a spot color job with white or discharge underbase, case closed.

Have your pricing ready for the moment they call. It doesn't change on what their feelings are. Bundling in setup is the way to go. It's basically just shop time (coat/burn screen = 10min,20min,30min ect. of shop time). Charge accordingly based on what's reasonable. Use the ideal amount of time it should take to complete a task as your benchmark, but if you have employees the benchmark is always your slowest person.