• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screen Printing Street Signs

mopar691

Anyone have any experience screening things such as 24" and 30" stop signs?

With the new MUTCD regulations my local community has came to me with the offer to bid on the replacement of said signage.

I have researched and found compliant inks for this, Currently have a press theat will hold a 42" wide screen. But I have never screened these and wondering about the way the ink lays? I think larger shops that specialize in these are pad printing but unsure.?.

Looking for any insight into this as not much information is available. Thanks in advance.

inthesignbiz

We use cpcsigns.com
DOT Grade and good pricing and customer service.

It might be worth a call instead of going
throught the headache of doing them in house.

mopar691

This job would be a nice, slow steady income. Projecting 20-40 per week over the course of 1.5 years. They do not want one bulk load as they dont have the manpower to go on a mass replacement schedule.
That being said I would like to keep this in-house as would be a great filler and once a system is implemented and screens, platens and all is set up.

SignosaurusRex

Not pad printed. Simple flat screen print with proper inks.

Yep.....(emphasize PROPER INKS)... and UV Cleared.

Having worked in one of the most well equipped and state-of-the-art road sign production shops in the country and a few other shops that produced and supplied spec signs for roadways and highways, I can tell you that it is much more encompassing than most envision. Make sure you fully understand the spec's...... being very familiar with the MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices). Be prepared for sticker shock when purchasing the proper grade Aluminum required as well as upgrading your insurance. Cutting the smallest corners on any materials whatsover WILL only bite you severely. Make sure you have all your "i"'s dotted and "t"'s crossed. If it were as sweet as it appears, everybody and their brother would be in that game. Beyond that...Best of luck!

Last edited:

Dwelltime

We screen printed a ton of road signage in the past. We had very bad experiences with 3M Stop sign red on 3M Diamond grade and engineering grade materials. The ink was an air dry ink that just didn't want to dry. Very unforgiving. I agree with the above posting about buying this outside. We'd print anything but Stop Signs today...