• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screenprinted logo

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Have a bid project for a local city.

Part of the project is a "silkscreen City Seal" attached to a 1/4" aluminum plate.

The drawings spec a beveled edge on that plate.

I'm not a screenprinter - but I don't think you can screen onto a bevel.

I think the best way would be to powdercoat the panel a close match to the edge color, then screen inside of the bevel on the flats. Would this work?

This is an exterior sign - is there a clearcoat or something that would be applied on top for UV stability/durability? Looking to spec it when I quote it out.

Attachments

• BEVEL.JPG
    BEVEL.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 132

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The bigger question is..... why are they gonna screen print one sign ?? That'll cost a fortune.

Marlene

A beveled edge on the metal wouldn't get in the way of the print as the surface is flat. It would be a problem if there was a rim around the thing but a bevel shouldn't hurt anything. How many colors are in this thing they want screened? Can it be direct digitally printed?

unclebun

Gemini has some ways of getting the images onto a plaque. https://www.geminisignproducts.com/en/plaques/plaques/precision-tooled-plaques/#options

The bevel is not the issue, because they are just asking for the edge of the metal to be angled or chamfered. It's not raised.

However, since they are spec'ing epoxy bonding it to the background, I would tell whoever is asking for the bid that unless they choose a more permanent way than printing to reproduce the city seal, the sign will look like crap in 5-10 years, possibly less, regardless of how the seal is printed onto the disk. If they want it printed in color, design it so the disk with the color print can be easily replaced

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
"Fortune" is relative, this is part of a giant job involving masonry, aluminum structural cabinets, waterjetting, powdercoating, tree removal, fencing and electrical runs. Couple hundred bucks ain't gonna make or break it ;)

Screenprinting is specced, so we'll quote it, and then provide an alternate, probably Gemini painted plaque for longevity.

The concern with the bevel and screenprinting is the 45 degree edge and the return. We wouldn't get any screen ink adhesion there because it is not being squeegeed down, correct?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, you can just go back and coat the edge in by hand with whatever color is supposed to be on there. Since it's only one, just do that. You could also wait for the print to thoroughly dry and then use a loose screen with just the border. You won't have any snap, but it's only a once and done, so play with it, since the tax payers are footing the bill and there's no concern for a few extra hundred dollars.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Most street signs are screenrinted and each usually have unique individual messages

If the graphic can be held back from the edge, then I would spray the color on the bevel before of after you silkscreen then use a UV clear coat.
Another idea is suggest that the graphic does not go into the bevel.

When I send projects out to bid like this it usually comes with specifications - if you get in a pinch, just add enough information to get the bid out.