• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screws Scratching Heads?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I believe that the screws in the capping station on our Mimaki JV3 are scratching the print heads...
The heads have a scratch on them and one side is bent in a little, but there have been no media related crashes.
This seems to happen over the weekend while the printer is not being used.
I would think that the screws on the capping station shouldn't sit so high up like they do.
Anyone else ever have this happen?

genericname

Definitely happens. Been a serious pain for me as well.

Sometimes, if there's a build-up of ink around the head, the teeth on the capping station will catch the head assembly as it returns to dock, pulling the station back and up prematurely. This'll cause the heads to line up with the screws instead of the caps.

Most you can do is clean the capping station religiously, and make sure you have good, strong springs pulling it back down. My opinion? The whole capping station design is a joke, and it seems like it was practically engineered to create issues.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a very common problem. You can replace the round screws with flat top ones and that has always seemed to work for me.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Definitely happens. Been a serious pain for me as well.

Sometimes, if there's a build-up of ink around the head, the teeth on the capping station will catch the head assembly as it returns to dock, pulling the station back and up prematurely. This'll cause the heads to line up with the screws instead of the caps.

Most you can do is clean the capping station religiously, and make sure you have good, strong springs pulling it back down. My opinion? The whole capping station design is a joke, and it seems like it was practically engineered to create issues.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!
It seems to happen when the capping station is dirty, but it seems to get that way quickly!
I will replace the screws with flush mount screws asap.

decalit

+1 with the flat head screws, I bought a used jv3 and the original owner had replaced the screws already staying that the round stews will ruin your heads.