• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seal 6500 Not Working

klmiller611

Hi All

We have a Seal 6500XL. In the broad scheme of things it is rarely used. Over the last five years, it has probably been used 10 days total.

A week ago Tuesday we fired it up on a specific job, just like was done last summer, it worked fine through the day. It was shut down normally. On Wednesday, we tried to fire it up, nothing, no lights, no panel indications, nothing.

It is getting power to the breakers, all the fuses seem to be OK, we reset all the emergency switches, but still no joy. My boss is looking for an electrical schematic, which Seal does not have. He is quite knowledgable mechanically and he cannot find anything at this point.

We are in western Virginia, does anyone know of a good person to repair the machine, or can anyone offer suggestions of something to look for?

Thanks
Ken

CreatedDesigns

I say get a meter and trace out the power till it stops and then you have found your issues. If you were closer I would be more than happy to come trouble shoot it for ya.

But like I said check it with a meter. Not by looks

phototec

I say get a meter and trace out the power till it stops and then you have found your issues. If you were closer I would be more than happy to come trouble shoot it for ya.

But like I said check it with a meter. Not by looks

Yep, I would remove the side panel where the power cord comes into the laminator, check for voltage inside the machine to make sure a conductor did not break inside the power cord, and if you have power there, move onto the next section (follow the wires), and keep checking to see if you have power.

Just keep taking readings till you find the culprit where the power stops, I don't think there is a mother board inside, maybe a power supply, relays, switches etc, but to have NO power at all, indicates something is wrong as soon as the power comes into the machine, I would think?

Not being used for a long time, maybe a mouse ate through a wire?

Good Luck

klmiller611

Follow Up to Seal Laminator Problem

Hi Folks, thanks for all the responses, I've just been too swamped to respond. You all know how it is in a one person shop.

The boss and an electrical engineer buddy got it working again, doing exactly what you all said, traced the power flow.

Finally discovered that the stranded wire had corroded enough that it could not pass enough current, so they cleaned and stripped and put in new and all is good with the world. Now, I guess the thing will sit another 6 months to a year before being used again. :)

Thanks all
Best
Ken