• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seal Base 54 vs new EL

bolder

Shopping for my first big laminator, I have a quote for $7300 on a demo Base 54 and $5000 for a new EL. Any opinions for a novice shopper appreciated. I know the base has heat assist and is much heavier but could not get much info from the Seal home office rep. He actually told me to download both spec sheets and compare myself. Must interrupted his coffee break.

The Equipment Guy

They are both nice, have sold both of them, can't go wrong with either. The new EL is pretty capable, with the exception of not having the heat. The base unit as a demo, you should double check as some of the items you might think would be there normally (roll to roll and wind up options) might be extra.

For the money, if I were doing it I would look at the 54EL if I was not high production or a fully optioned 54 base if I did a lot of wrap production etc. Not a big fan of the 54 base stripped down I guess.

Craig

Slamdunkpro

Stay away from the Base 54 - get a Base 62 if you can. The 54 doesn't have the ability to add roll to roll (Seal refuses to make a retrofit) and the backing take up system is terrible compared to the 62 (again Seal won't make a retrofit)

The Equipment Guy

Good points Slamdunkpro, I have actually only sold the 62's, if your points on the 54 are correct, I would definitely aim at the 62 if the higher end machine is where you are heading.

Craig

Last edited: