• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SEAL Base Laminator Not heating up.

cardsin2005

At our shop we have a SEAL Base 54 Laminator with heat assist, and it never heats up. It has never heated up since we got it around 3 years ago. I just never got around to doing anything about it. Today I was using it to apply some yard signs, and thought some heat would really help with the wrinkles. So if any one could help me that would be great.

MikePro

the heat comes from the bottom roller. since you've gotten the laminator, have you tried letting the top roller "warm up" by cranking down to light pressure and letting it run at slow (or fast, doesn't matter) speed?
(stupid tip, as well, but does the green switch light up when you turn it "on"? when working properly, its supposed to eventually turn itself off when it hits a certain temperature)

i think there's a heating element that could be replaceable, as well, if it gets to that point.

The Equipment Guy

Never took apart a Base unit yet, but in most that have a metal heating rod you can remove the wires at each end of the roller and then easily pull the rod out and check continuity from end to end.

I am not 100% sure if Seal uses a glass or solid heating rod in this model, but in most of their units its a solid rod and the above should work. I would def check the fuse first.

Craig

The Equipment Guy

Checked with my Seal guy today, they have a quartz heating rod (I think) but the same still applies. He says the more common issue is with the wires disconnecting at the ends of the rods.

Craig

cardsin2005

I just took the cover off the side of the unit and all the fuses were fine. The green switch does light up when you turn it on. I let it heat it up for a good 15-20 minutes and still no temp change.

Slamdunkpro when you say it only get to about 100 degrees, are you talking F or C?

Thanks for the advice guys.