Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seaming 2 pieces of vinyl banner together

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by GorillaPrinter, Aug 19, 2010.

1. GorillaPrinter

GorillaPrinter New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Hello all and thank you for taking the time to view my question. I would like to know if anyone out there can let me know how to seam a 6 ft by 6 ft banner with out shifting the image. If this is not clear let me explain in further detail. I have a banner that is 6ft x 6ft but the banner roll I have is only 4.5 ft so I have to seam the banner out of 2 separate pieces. The banner has a group of people printed on it so I am trying to get the banner seamed together with no shifts if anyone out there has a recommendation it will be much appreciated as I have till tomorrow to finish this.

Tags:
  2. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    you need to either sew it or use one of those hot air seamers that melt or weld the material together.
    //chopper

3. GorillaPrinter

Aug 17, 2010
    Hi Chopper thanks for your reply I am using 1" Hem tape but do you have an idea how to align it straight without shifts in the image? Thanks again.

4. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    Do you have someone who stitches your banners for you? They should be
    able to sew it together with very little shift. Just print a two inch overlap.
    I have a Tent & Awning place that does a very good job on such projects.

5. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    Hem tape will not hold it.

6. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I don't understand what your question is...you just tape the edge of one side, lay the pieces out so they match, secure each side so it doesn't move by taping it to the table or some other means, fold back one side and remove the tape liner, then starting in the middle fold them back together and adhere the tape. Depending on what the use of the banner will be, if it's short term, interior use, etc., the tape will hold fine on a seam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cartoad

cartoad Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yakima, WA
    We seam banners all the time, and plan to print so the seam to be in the area of least problem with matching both sides so it all lines up. We use banner tape in two or three places, and place gorilla glue between the banner tape, works like a dream!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GorillaPrinter

Aug 17, 2010
    Thank you very much I will try your suggested strategy's. I appreciate it very much. Happy printing to you all.

9. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

HH66 vinyl cement, works great, but smells horrible.