• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

searching for 30" cutter that wastes little material

KPC

I'm in the market for a 30" wide cutter for a specific purpose.

After sheetcutting, the new machine needs to feed out as little material as possible. More explained below

Currently we're working with an older printer / cutter and the problem is three fold.

1. is that our current machine is only 24" wide and the rolls of material that we use are only manufacturered in 30" widths, so we have to slit the material down to 24" wide before we can use it, and the left over is too narrow for most of our production needs. So we need to step up to a 30" machine

2. Here is the explenation of the production cutting. After the machine is loaded with the material, the cut file is sent to the machine. The cut file is a design which consists of a row of cut patterns, 24" wide x 3-4" deep. After the single row is finished cutting, the machine then automatically sheet cuts. The row of cut material falls into a bin in front of the machine. Then the machine feeds out about 3-4 inches of material, then starts cutting the next row. Here is where the problem exists. After sheet cutting, when the machine feeds out 3-4 inches, it is wasting all that material. We are averaging 50% yield per roll of material, because for every 3-4 inches of actual cut material, the machine feeds out another 3-4 inches past the pinch rollers every time it sheet cuts.

So we are really looking for a 30" cutter, that after sheet cutting, it feeds out as little material as possible, preferrably less than 1/4" after it sheet cuts which will result in a huge cost savings of wasted material, not to mention saving the environment, polution, etc.. of all that wasted scrap.

3. while not a huge issue, the older printer / cutter that we have, is slow cutting. For the work that we do, we seldom use the printing function, so we are looking to purchase a dedicated 30" cutter. On the same hand, when attending a trade show last year, I did notice that all of the dedicated cutters where many times faster than what we are currently working with. However at that time at the trade show, we were not in the market for this production specific 30" cutter, so we really weren't paying close attention to the features of all the different manufactureres, so that is why I'm asking these questions on here, as I'm sure many of you know the features of the various cutters far better than I do.

On another note, we have tried setting our current machine so that after it will cut a row, then NOT automatically sheet cut, but rather feed out just 1/4" material, then start cutting the next row. We'll do this for 15-20 rows, then stop the machine, and manually backtrack the vinyl to the beginning of the row, and manually set the position of the sheet cutter blade between the 1/4" gap, & push the sheet cut button, feed out more material, set the position, push the sheet cut button, but this is too human time consuming.

We need a 30" machine that will automatically sheet cut after finish cutting a row, but also not feed out more than 1/4" for starting to cut the next row.

Just wondering which machines out there might be able to achieve the cutting that we need. At least with a short list of machines, we can narrow our searching.

Obviously reliability, ability to source replacement parts, blades, holders, cutter protection strips, etc.. are all key features that pretty much go unsaid. However we are also on a budget, so we are not ruling out good used machines.

The current printer / cutter we purchased used a few years ago, and it has been a wonderful machine for us. However we have found a need for a more job specific machine, hence the reason we're in the market for the 30" wide machine as discussed.

Thanks in advance.

Mosh

We have all roland equipment, one that is around 20 years old. Rolands are workhorses, and I don't think they feed out much, guess I never paid attention to that. I will look in the morning and measure how much is fed past the cut. From memory I think it is like 1/2 inch or so.

The Equipment Guy

I am not sure what your application is for and therefor not sure of your qty's but if they are large, then you might want to look at flatbed cutters. Graphtec, Zund and a few others make them. The benefit is kiss cutting and through cutting all in the same job with a minimum of product movement.

Other than that, I believe a lot of the roll cutters have shuffle or feed settings that can be adjusted.

Craig