Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for new cutter

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by txhotrod, Dec 1, 2019.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    My vinyl cutter has suddenly died. I need to purchase a new one, but I want one that is going to be reliable for many years. I see so many new brands on the market, so many now I am confused.
    I do mostly signs and HTV shirt designs. What cutter would you all recommend? I don't have unlimited funds to spend. Looking for your advice.
    Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I saw a Cricut Explore for $149 at Tuesday Morning yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. txhotrod

txhotrod New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    OK, maybe I need to be more specific, I run a pro tshirt, decal company. I want a 24in cutter equal or better than the one I had go down. It was a GCC Jaguar IV. Worked great for many years and met my needs for present. I would probably consider a larger cutter maybe a 30 or 40 inch one. So I can consider doing larger jobs. But a top quality 24 will suffice. NOT a cheap hobby cutter.

4. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Can’t go wrong with a summa. Tracking is excellent and once they go in the field all you really need is new blades and the odd cutting strip if you go really heavy on it.

As far as cutters go, I’m pretty sure most of them are pretty sturdy so any name brand should serve you well. Not much that can go wrong other than the usual consumable stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    In order that I would prefer: Summa, Graphtec FC then CE, Roland GS.

If you want "Reliable for many years" spend 1500 Plus for one of the above.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    I have a Summa to for more than 15 years, and still working OK !

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    My company upgraded from a GCC Jaguar IV to a Summa T series... It's night and day and worth the money!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Have a couple of GX24s, one is going on 10 yrs. Use it for shirts, applique fabric cutting and all that good stuff. As was already mentioned, stick with name brand, more often then not, they'll do right by you. Always a chance that one gets a dud, but I would say the odds are less with one of those, but possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rick Alberda

Rick Alberda New Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Byron Center, Michigan
    What size Plotter are you looking for? 15" 36"

10. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    He LITERALLY said " I want a 24in cutter equal or better than the one I had go down".

11. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    I went from a Jaguar to a Roland GX-24 a few years ago and I felt like it was a step backwards. This year I bought one of SignWarehouse's machines (Q30) that is a relabeled Graphtec FC8600 and it is night an day difference over the machines from the past. If funds are truly unlimited then I'd go with a Summa as they are the best ones around from what I have read in other posts like this one.

12. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    no merchant member = no party.

Get the relevant subscription before you go flogging your wares.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. txhotrod

txhotrod New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your input. I got my old Vinyl Express to work again,not near as fast as the Jag but... so I am going to save up for a high end cutter either a Summa or a Graphtec.

14. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    #NoFreeWareFloggingZone

15. Justin H

Justin H Member

Feb 22, 2017
    New Zealand
    Lol, you quoted so when the post was deleted it's still there. You're assisting the free promotion ;)

To the OP, you could go with a Jaguar V if you liked the first Jag you had the V has some improvements. Could also look in to repairs, cutters are simple things and not very hard to repair or have repaired assuming you can get parts.

16. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    I have always had good luck with Rolands.I still have a fine working pnc 1000 that I bought 25 years ago. Still works perfect.