• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Searching for new cutter

txhotrod

My vinyl cutter has suddenly died. I need to purchase a new one, but I want one that is going to be reliable for many years. I see so many new brands on the market, so many now I am confused.
I do mostly signs and HTV shirt designs. What cutter would you all recommend? I don't have unlimited funds to spend. Looking for your advice.
Thanks!

txhotrod

I saw a Cricut Explore for $149 at Tuesday Morning yesterday.
OK, maybe I need to be more specific, I run a pro tshirt, decal company. I want a 24in cutter equal or better than the one I had go down. It was a GCC Jaguar IV. Worked great for many years and met my needs for present. I would probably consider a larger cutter maybe a 30 or 40 inch one. So I can consider doing larger jobs. But a top quality 24 will suffice. NOT a cheap hobby cutter.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Can’t go wrong with a summa. Tracking is excellent and once they go in the field all you really need is new blades and the odd cutting strip if you go really heavy on it.

As far as cutters go, I’m pretty sure most of them are pretty sturdy so any name brand should serve you well. Not much that can go wrong other than the usual consumable stuff.

WildWestDesigns

Have a couple of GX24s, one is going on 10 yrs. Use it for shirts, applique fabric cutting and all that good stuff. As was already mentioned, stick with name brand, more often then not, they'll do right by you. Always a chance that one gets a dud, but I would say the odds are less with one of those, but possible.

Rick Alberda

My vinyl cutter has suddenly died. I need to purchase a new one, but I want one that is going to be reliable for many years. I see so many new brands on the market, so many now I am confused.
I do mostly signs and HTV shirt designs. What cutter would you all recommend? I don't have unlimited funds to spend. Looking for your advice.
Thanks!
What size Plotter are you looking for? 15" 36"

IsItFasst

I went from a Jaguar to a Roland GX-24 a few years ago and I felt like it was a step backwards. This year I bought one of SignWarehouse's machines (Q30) that is a relabeled Graphtec FC8600 and it is night an day difference over the machines from the past. If funds are truly unlimited then I'd go with a Summa as they are the best ones around from what I have read in other posts like this one.

txhotrod

Thanks everyone for your input. I got my old Vinyl Express to work again,not near as fast as the Jag but... so I am going to save up for a high end cutter either a Summa or a Graphtec.

RustyNZ

no merchant member = no party.

Get the relevant subscription before you go flogging your wares.

Lol, you quoted so when the post was deleted it's still there. You're assisting the free promotion ;)

To the OP, you could go with a Jaguar V if you liked the first Jag you had the V has some improvements. Could also look in to repairs, cutters are simple things and not very hard to repair or have repaired assuming you can get parts.

Z SIGNS

I have always had good luck with Rolands.I still have a fine working pnc 1000 that I bought 25 years ago. Still works perfect.