• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Second Monitor Suggestions Anyone?

Sign_Boy

WOW lots of good info here TN vs IPS.
I think it's time for me to start reading up on my tech.
You're probably going to laugh, but the monitor that I'm replacing is an old ViewSonic CRT from back in the 90s.

rjssigns

Get a monitor with an S-IPS display like an iMac. They are expensive but why cheap out on something that you have to look at for eight hours a day?

Custom_Grafx

+1 for Dell Ultrasharp. Bought the 21.5" on Choucove's advice and love it. Was on special at the time so was a steal. It is now my primary monitor, and I use my old 22" Benq (cheapy but still good) as my second monitor for all my adobe suite palettes and the such.

Calibration is pretty important though, especially if you want both your monitors to look the same.

ProWraps

all the speculation aside...

monitors are so good now. why even ask? go to costco, get a 24" for $199 and be done with it. seriously.

if your worried about your monitors having adobe calibration, your in the wrong field.

monitors or printers and or adobe /= final results.

Sign_Boy

monitors are so good now. why even ask? go to costco, get a 24" for $199 and be done with it. seriously.

if your worried about your monitors having adobe calibration, your in the wrong field.

Please explain

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

If you jus' cut and stick vynil lettirs, then yeah, baby....

Otherwise, no.

Sign-Man Signs

Been using LCD Visio TV for about 2 years now. 1-36" and 1-27". No problems at all. Set resolution to whatever you need. Walmart $225.00 for the 27".

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Been using LCD Visio TV for about 2 years now. 1-36" and 1-27". No problems at all. Set resolution to whatever you need. Walmart $225.00 for the 27".

On an LCD flat panel? Yikes....

Buddy, you should never use anything but the native resolution of the panel. anything else is a nasty compromise in sharpness...

rjssigns

I think I may have it narrowed down between these two:

Dell UltraSharp U2410 (around $600.00) or the Asus PA246Q (around $500.00)

cnet reviews:
Dell UltraSharp U2410

Asus PA246Q

Color Saturation

Dell: AdobeRGB (96% Coverage) sRGB emulates 72% of NTSC Color (100% Coverage) xvYCC Compatibility

Asus: 98%(Adobe RGB), 100%(sRGB), 102%(NTSC)

Any thoughts?
Rock on! Two good monitor choices. IPS displays are a big reason Macs are so dang spendy, but so easy on your eyes.

ProWraps

If you jus' cut and stick vynil lettirs, then yeah, baby....

Otherwise, no.

wrong.

its not the monitor its the calibration.

get a pantone huey or similar if your worried about monitor calibration.

you can calibrate and speculate all you want. the print is the final result. take your calibration from that.

and yeah, i just cut and stick VYNIL letters. rofl.

but i do buy a lot of vinyl.

Sign_Boy

I still don't understand......Wrong field?

wrong.

its not the monitor its the calibration.

get a pantone huey or similar if your worried about monitor calibration.

you can calibrate and speculate all you want. the print is the final result. take your calibration from that.

and yeah, i just cut and stick VYNIL letters. rofl.

but i do buy a lot of vinyl.

I would have to say it's both the monitor and the calibration.
You can calibrate a Honda Civic but that doesn't mean you're going to win the Indy 500.
As for using a print for calibration, it's fine and dandy when you have access to said printer.
What do you do when designing print ads for multiple publications that handle all the printing?

ProWraps

What do you do when designing print ads for multiple publications that handle all the printing?

request a proof. i mean seriously? all printers print different due to different rips, printers, inks etc. if you dont print in house and you are sending stuff out and are worried about reproduction then proof it. its common sense and common place in our industry.

Sign_Boy

request a proof. i mean seriously? all printers print different due to different rips, printers, inks etc. if you dont print in house and you are sending stuff out and are worried about reproduction then proof it. its common sense and common place in our industry.

I understand this and have done it many times, but not all printers are going to supply a proof especially when the project is dumped on me a day or two before it has to go to press.

Either way do what you do and I'll do what I do.
I've yet to get into an all out pi$$ing contest here and I don't plan on starting now.

That being said, I bid you good day:smile: