• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Second surface adhesive pulling away from plexiglass

bigcolorpros

I am using oracal 3651 clear PSA, printing on HP latex printing, mounting second surface to 1/8 plexi, and cover the back of adhesive with white adhesive. When I use contact cement to adhere wood for floating frame effect, it appears to pull adhesive from plexi where ever the frame touches the back of the white vinyl. Same with VHA 3 mp tape. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do to solve the problem? Doesn't seem to happen when we use sintra on the back of the white vinyl but we prefer the clean look of the plexi with floating frame. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I am using oracal 3651 clear PSA, printing on HP latex printing, mounting second surface to 1/8 plexi, and cover the back of adhesive with white adhesive. When I use contact cement to adhere wood for floating frame effect, it appears to pull adhesive from plexi where ever the frame touches the back of the white vinyl. Same with VHA 3 mp tape. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do to solve the problem? Doesn't seem to happen when we use sintra on the back of the white vinyl but we prefer the clean look of the plexi with floating frame. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Not quite sure I'm exactly following your description, but it sounds like items you're adhering to the vinyl are coming loose. (?)

If that's what's happening, it's likely the plasticizers in the vinyl. They can negatively affect adhesion of VHB tape and other adhesives.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have had this happen many times.

The adhesive is fluid so warm temperatures and the weight of the plex will pull air bubbles where the face makes contact with the frame. The best solution is to mechanically mount it with standoffs. If that's not an option, try using 1/16" plex for the face and with full double sided adhesive on the back of the print and mount that to another 1/16" sheet the same size. Now VHB this to your frame. I have had plex faces slid off the prints done like that over time though.

Mechanical mount is the only long term solution.