• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

See the Difference Avery 1005 vs 1105

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
So I printed part of a van wrap on what was left of a roll of Avery 1005 and the rest I printed on a new roll of 1105.
You can clearly see the difference of what they did with the receptivity on the printing surface with the new 1105.
Same ink cartridges, same day, same temps, same printer, same profile settings, same humidity, barometric pressure blah blah...the only difference was the vinyl.
See if you can guess which one is which. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1005vs1105.jpg
    1005vs1105.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 800

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The one to the right must be the better stuff, cause the door handle looks very realistic, while the pic on the left...... it's hard to make out the handle at all. :covereyes:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The one to the right must be the better stuff, cause the door handle looks very realistic, while the pic on the left...... it's hard to make out the handle at all. :covereyes:

Yeah, I tried getting the same spot on the vehicle without getting customers info or logo in the pic. It's the same spot on art but driver side had no door, pass had swing open...hence handle.

djhotwheel

I was informed the difference is only the topical ingredients like a different acid to accept more UV and latex printing.
I am using a Roland Eco-Sol printer and the 1005 profile is a 720x1440 profile. The 1105 offers 720x720 and 1440x1440 now.
Unless you changed the direction of printing there is not much result difference. Only thing is the adhesion dry time is better I noticed.

AaronSSsignsKC

I dont understand why you would think they would look the same. Even rolls of the same material out of different lots can look different. Say you have a roll of 3m 180cv3 and want to get rid of it to start a job and finish with a fresh roll. We would never do that white counts and variables in the manufacturing process can make prints from roll to roll look way different. We do large wall paper jobs that can take up to 3-4 150' rolls to complete and we always order all consecutive rolls from the same lot to ensure consistent color and quality.....I guess I understand you testing the two to get a control of the difference in print quality, and try to decide on better material etc but not why you did it on a customers job haha but hey......

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Learned that lesson already - never print one job across 2 rolls of material - EVEN if it's the same brand, lot number, etc.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
What if it is a 53' trailer wrap? it then becomes inevitable

While the majority of shops do not use it, many materials like 3M IJ180 comes in rolls much bigger than 50 yards..... You can get a 60" 200 yard roll if you want. I think you will need to be in the 8 foot and wider size printers to have a media handling setup that can deal with a roll that heavy though. Or use two rolls, print one side per roll. No one can see both sides at the same time.

Kwiksigns

wookie
You have to break it up so that each roll contains the consecutive panels.

I never paid much attention to the ones we have done, color always seemed to be fine between the rolls...

But, even with what you are saying, there will still be a point where two panels meet that are from different rolls.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I dont understand why you would think they would look the same. Even rolls of the same material out of different lots can look different. Say you have a roll of 3m 180cv3 and want to get rid of it to start a job and finish with a fresh roll. We would never do that white counts and variables in the manufacturing process can make prints from roll to roll look way different. We do large wall paper jobs that can take up to 3-4 150' rolls to complete and we always order all consecutive rolls from the same lot to ensure consistent color and quality.....I guess I understand you testing the two to get a control of the difference in print quality, and try to decide on better material etc but not why you did it on a customers job haha but hey......

I agree and typically employ that practice.
However I did not have a choice on this job.

As for expecting them to be the same...a little variance is one thing with slight white points effecting the color. But the ink banding on one vs no banding on the other is completely different. That's the "receptivity" I was talking about. Big difference.

Patentagosse

On my monitor, left hand picture is showing some minor lack of consistancy due to ink absorbtion... I see vertical zebra pattern (or maybe is just weird reflections in the background. Anyway, Avery have had some sort of issue with quality consistancy from batch to batch. Hope they finally find a cure...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
On my monitor, left hand picture is showing some minor lack of consistancy due to ink absorbtion... I see vertical zebra pattern (or maybe is just weird reflections in the background. Anyway, Avery have had some sort of issue with quality consistancy from batch to batch. Hope they finally find a cure...

That is exactly what you are seeing. I can't say if it is due to different batches or different models 1005 vs 1105 because both are true in this case.

Patentagosse

The most consistant and reliable cast vinyls I have used up to now are Oracal 3951G and 3M IJ-180 as far as printing 'em. For the adhesive, it's another thing... Oracal being too much aggressive for my taste, I've switched to 3M...

I'll be testing Arlon soon. 'Had many issues with Avery along the years I hold my breath everytime I'm "forced" to use it.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
The only problems we had with the older avery is that we had tiny white spots in the print.
The Avery rep told me the the only reason they came out with the new 1105 is to fix that issue. everything else is the same.

Patentagosse

a roll of 1005EZ passed 8-10 months old tend to sweat something greasy on top...

I had a few yards left from previous jobs I saved for door decals but realized I cannot use it due to surface deteoration

Will keep printing on 3M / Oracal...

Anyone tried Arlon's ?

jsalda

I personally like the 1105 over the 1005. Less banding and smoother transitions on our Rolands. A tech with Avery told me that the ink limits on the 1105 are a bit lower than 1005 with ECO-SOL MAX inks. I'm using Liquecolor inks (out of warranty) and have been very pleased. The 1360z gloss laminate seem to be a bit smoother than the old 1360, looks like a nice gloss paint.