• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seeking a cure for my font ignorance

Jwalk

Here is a photo of a sign I am supposed to restore but now the whole sign is gone. Any body know what fonts are here look like 2 types.

I would end up recreating it on illustrator then create paint mask stencils.

EDIT,,, seems like Im being misunderstood this isnt a distress call. Im simple asking if anybody knows the font. If I recall this is the font area?
Im not asking for more pictures I have plenty of pictures.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cropped sign_zps5zocc5v6.jpg
    cropped sign_zps5zocc5v6.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 128

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Fonts? First you mean 'type faces' and second, that sign was done by hand in whatever style moved the sign writer that did it that day. One thing is pretty much for certain; he did not say to himself or others "I think I'll use this or that type face on this sign."

If you want to reproduce that work digitally then you'll have to start with something that maybe might could sort of resemble that copy and modify it until it actually does. Have fun.

SignosaurusRex

Sooooo.... you are not "Restoring" it, you need to "Replicate" it!
Cutting to the chase here... you won't match it using fonts. Each "Wall Dog" had their own letter styles based on what they had learned and whom they had learned from.

SignosaurusRex

Here is a photo of a sign I am supposed to restore but now the whole sign is gone. Any body know what fonts are here look like 2 types.

I would end up recreating it on illustrator then create paint mask stencils.

Unless you are getting an absolutely insane amount of $$$ in order to afford the headaches as well as the very steep learning experience...(on and on)... "Pass" on this project or sub it to a true "Wall Dog" that can knock it out in a less than two days. Don't try to do something that you have no clue where to begin or end. You will only give yourself a ****-poor reputation in a hurry and cast a bad light on those that know what they are doing on a project like this.

Jwalk

Unless you are getting an absolutely insane amount of $$$ in order to afford the headaches as well as the very steep learning experience...(on and on)... "Pass" on this project or sub it to a true "Wall Dog" that can knock it out in a less than two days. Don't try to do something that you have no clue where to begin or end. You will only give yourself a ****-poor reputation in a hurry and cast a bad light on those that know what they are doing on a project like this.

no comment.

Jwalk

To every one else I wasnt looking for more pictures, geez. I have plenty of pictures.

I was trying to be creative with the title, I was thinking it gets a little boring with " font help".

So far I have had a amazing experience with this font area.

Jwalk

Seems like your request was misunderstood. I've seen the work you do on your website and it's impressive. Obviously this is right up your alley but I don't think you'll find fonts on a computer that will match those. As previously mentioned whoever did that wall originally just used their style of "type faces".

I'd say just bring in one of the pictures and find something similar and start tweaking.

Good luck, looks like an interesting project. Getting too cold out there to do those any time soon?

Yeah Thanks !!! Seriously.
Funny though I had to pull an all nighter last night hand painting a sign, and "SignosaurusRex" comments gave me the steam I needed to get through the night. Honestly no font or paint mask that would be one of the easier things I have done.

Oh well, Im cooled down. All I can take from it is how I react to people comments if their true or not. And at first I failed cause I sent him a slightly rude private message.I apologize for that. Just the rudeness, not the meaning.

I do appreciate everybody's effort though. I guess at the least I was hoping for a similar font. Then I could tweak that one.

I do not claim any dominion on knowledge of fonts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO:........ ya come on like a total frickin' novice, asking questions like a beginner, you're given all kinds of help and YOU cop an attitude ??

It's called constructive help and guidance. Based on your OP, you need it. Based on your comments, who cares ??

If you're as good as you claim, you know these things going in. You know the routine of prepping the wall, tracing the letters out and just going to town with your paint bucket. More appropriate questions would've been like what paints or how long do you think it will take, given my talents in this area ??

You just haul off on really good members. Yep, that's the ticket around here.

I want help, I want it now and respond the way I want or I'll get mad. :noway:

SignosaurusRex

Yeah Thanks !!! Seriously.
Funny though I had to pull an all nighter last night hand painting a sign, and "SignosaurusRex" comments gave me the steam I needed to get through the night. Honestly no font or paint mask that would be one of the easier things I have done.

Oh well, Im cooled down. All I can take from it is how I react to people comments if their true or not. And at first I failed cause I sent him a slightly rude private message.I apologize for that. Just the rudeness, not the meaning.

I do appreciate everybody's effort though. I guess at the least I was hoping for a similar font. Then I could tweak that one.

I do not claim any dominion on knowledge of fonts.

It's all good. I failed to recognize your web address. My apologies for the misunderstanding. :doh:

Jwalk

So in consideration of everyone advice. I just ended up warping the picture in photoshop so that it was flat and then drew the letters out 1 - 1 in illustrator. I included all the nuisance of the letters to didn't correct them. Its coming out pretty well.I'm cutting the vinyl stencil now. Id say it will be within 95 % of the original if not more accurate

attachment.php

This is an example of the distorted image I drew from. After this image , I took each word and made it perfectly straight, I know this one is still a little off.

Attachments

• skewed version 2 sharpened.jpg
    skewed version 2 sharpened.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 122