• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seeking Advice/Help/Tips... & possibly a driver!

Afternoon all!

Just signed up, hoping this is the place to be!
And that you guys can provide me with the help, knowledge and guidance needed! :notworthy:

I recently bought a Creation PCUT CT630
I intend starting a small business with it, and see how it progresses!

Tried and tested it previous to buying!
Seems easy enough to use and upto the tasks I need it for to start with!

However, I cannot get it to communicate with my PC.
I'm using an XP setup.
Does anybody happen to have a driver, or know where I may obtain one from?

I have no previous knowledge/experience of sign making, however have a head start in the graphic design side of things!

Any beginner advice/tips that may save me time, materials and heart/head aches would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Kol

SignsonTime

Afternoon all!

I have no previous knowledge/experience of sign making, however have a head start in the graphic design side of things!

Any beginner advice/tips that may save me time, materials and heart/head aches would be greatly appreciated!

Get a job at a Sign Shop and learn the Business like everyone else has had to. There are no magical short cuts!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You need a vector creation and editing program such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW and then a bridge program to control the cutter. Alternatively, you can purchase a sign making program which will give you both the vector and cutting capability.

jhill, Fred:

The cutter came with a copy of Artcut 2005, which is what i trial ran it on.
Was just intending to use that to start with.
As for other software I have CS3. So it'll be from Adobe straight into there as an .eps file

Gino:
Thanks for the welcome!

Get a job at a Sign Shop and learn the Business like everyone else has had to. There are no magical short cuts!

I already have a full time job, and I do not intend taking a paycut, and stepping down from management level to become an apprentice signmaker.
I am a relatively clever guy, fast learner and was not asking for a 'Dummies guide to Sign Making'.
Just a few hints or tips from experienced people from the profession that are willing to help, those that aren't don't really need to voice they're say do they?
But thanks regardless for the excellent, friendly input there!

Jim Doggett

jhill, Fred:

The cutter came with a copy of Artcut 2005, which is what i trial ran it on.
Was just intending to use that to start with.
As for other software I have CS3. So it'll be from Adobe straight into there as an .eps file

Gino:

You'll need an XP device driver (USB, I assume) for the CT630. The Artcut should still be running AOK on XP. Check the Web site of your cutter's dealer or maker. Drivers are usually available for download.

I had just hooked it up with the parallel lead,
Simply because that is how it was hooked up where I bought it.
It was on '98 there, but he had no seperate driver for it.

I may just get a USB lead for it, it may be easier to get it communicating that way.

Trying to find a device driver for it online is proving a task and a half!

Jim Doggett

I had just hooked it up with the parallel lead,
Simply because that is how it was hooked up where I bought it.
It was on '98 there, but he had no seperate driver for it.

I may just get a USB lead for it, it may be easier to get it communicating that way.

Trying to find a device driver for it online is proving a task and a half!

You could go serial, too, and then configure the COM port as stated in the manual, typically Baud Rate 9600, Flow Control X-ON/X-OFF, ...

andy

Afternoon all!

However, I cannot get it to communicate with my PC.
I'm using an XP setup.
Does anybody happen to have a driver, or know where I may obtain one from?

Kol

Artcut is a pi$$poor piece of software but it's good enough to get you started. The drivers for Creation cutters are on the Artcut CD's.

If you are trying to hook the cutter up using the USB port you're wasting your time.... Chinese cutters have their own kind of USB ports... the non working kind.

You should see a small serial port on the machine... if you hitch your cutter to the PC using a good old fashioned serial cable... BINGO.

Jim Doggett

The drivers for Creation cutters are on the Artcut CD's.

That's typically the software driver (how to speak to the cutter). A device driver (what's attached and via what com method, port state) is also needed. USB driver (cutter maker supplied) is best, but a serial connection can be manually configured to the cutter's spec (in the manual or online, often, at the cutter maker's Web site)

The drivers for Creation cutters are on the Artcut CD's.

Now that may help!! :rolleyes: Thanks!

I hadn't tried USB yet, it is the old fashioned serial I've been on.
Was just unaware that the Artcut CD's also contained the device driver's.
You'd have thought it would have stated that somewhere. Or perhaps even installed the driver's along with the software at the same time wouldn't you?

Not to worry! At least I know where to go now!

As for Artcut, to begin with all I will be doing is exporting my art, 'ready to cut', from an external program as an .eps file.
So Artcut will just be acting as my middle man to translate it to the cutter.

For future reference, what is looked upon as being a good piece of software?

Appreciated!

Signed Out

As far as tricks and techniques youtube is a great place to learn different application methods and tricks, but there is nothing like good old hands on expierence. One thing we did when we first opened last year is contacted another shop about an hour away (far enough away where you won't step on toes) that provided us with know how and showed us how they operate some of the tools and techniques... by far the most helpful place for this industry is right here good ppl with solid info and help

You could go serial, too, and then configure the COM port as stated in the manual, typically Baud Rate 9600, Flow Control X-ON/X-OFF, ...

Lack of manual is my main problem here!
Once I get it connected I'm sorted, as I went through everything I needed to know before buying it!
It's just the communication issue.

Between you and Andy I have few things to try now, so will check the Artcut discs and see if I can figure out a manual COM setup.

Jim Doggett

Lack of manual is my main problem here!
Once I get it connected I'm sorted, as I went through everything I needed to know before buying it!
It's just the communication issue.

Between you and Andy I have few things to try now, so will check the Artcut discs and see if I can figure out a manual COM setup.

You should be fine. The good news is we cutter maker/selling folks are none too original. LOL

Chances are ...

Bits per second – 9600
Data Bits – 8
Parity – None
Stop bits – 1
Flow Control - Xon/Xoff

Good luck!!!