• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seeking Advice: Issues with Stainless Steel Lettering Installation

Ryk

I would like to gather opinions from all of you.

This is a stainless steel 3D dimensional lettering, mounted on an acrylic panel with a PVC board backing and secured using double-sided tape. (The marking on the reverse-printed acrylic panel serves as a reference guide during installation).

Typically, this method works well, but we've encountered issues where these signs keep falling down. We've already tried using 3M double-sided tape (both white and grey), but the signage still drops after a day of installation.

I am considering changing the installation method to the following: Clean the acrylic panel with alcohol, then use a combination of hot glue and silicone sealant to adhere the PVC board.

Do you have any alternative solutions or suggestions that you could recommend?

Attachments

• e9395a91-2378-48a6-ab08-3bed80b70796.jpg
    e9395a91-2378-48a6-ab08-3bed80b70796.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 88

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
You don't say how large the letters are, but stainless is going to be heavy. As good as VHB is, there's no way I'd use anything other than mechanical fasteners to attach not only the letters, but the panel itself. I'd stud mount these (pre-drill the PVC backer with the corresponding mounting holes and you don't have to print for alignment), then stud mount the PVC to the wall.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
You don't say how large the letters are, but stainless is going to be heavy. As good as VHB is, there's no way I'd use anything other than mechanical fasteners to attach not only the letters, but the panel itself. I'd stud mount these (pre-drill the PVC backer with the corresponding mounting holes and you don't have to print for alignment), then stud mount the PVC to the wall.
we installed 1" thick X 6" high STainless steel letters with 3M VHB tape7 years ago and they are still there looking good!

Attachments

• IMG_20140807_101059_252.jpg
    IMG_20140807_101059_252.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20140807_101233_591.jpg
    IMG_20140807_101233_591.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 34