Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Seeking an Extrusion vendor for curved front signage

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Ronald Duperroir, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Ronald Duperroir

Ronald Duperroir New Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Addison Txas
    Hello ... i've an order for a large quantity of the curved signage you would see on the latch side of a door or at a hallway intersection that is directional. I want to manufacture these signs in house but cannot find the manufacture or distributor for the extrusions that are needed. Would anyone care to offer up a lead as to where i can call. Thanks a ton.

2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I think these extrusions are probably made for folks like Vista Systems, as in you won't be able to source it because the mill has some sort of exclusive contract with that die for vista orders only. If you find out otherwise, I'd love to hear it. The QA on vista is awful, and if I could bring the production in house I would too.

3. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    There are plenty of regional extrusion places that will work with you to design an extrusion and have a die made, but the quantity required is usually prohibitive. I think my local extruder requires cost of die plus 500 lb minimum of finished goods. Although that might work out to your benefit if you have a large enough contract. Another potential pitfall would be any patent or other design legality issues that may arise if you are "too close" to an existing system like vista.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm not sure that most places have a local extruder, but I could be wrong. Heck, I've got a couple of different thoughts on a custom extrusion that I'd never bothered to look into after talking to my aluminum distributor, because the cost of getting the die in production was cost prohibitive. At 500/lb order minimum, this seems like an easier pill to swallow. I mean that's just 10 or so 25' lengths of something along the lines of signgineer. Is that accurate?

5. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    I may just be fortunate to have one close. If i recall it was the cost of making the die PLUS 500 pounds of product, and I believe you then own the die.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Wild stuff, of course the die probably cost an arm, leg, first born, and other collateral.

7. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
  8. Evan Gillette

Evan Gillette Member

Dec 5, 2018
    MN
    Never hurts to get quotes, sometimes you would be surprised.

• Like Like x 1