• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seeking Product Review

Air Art Girl

My friend is considering buying his own equipment for making labels.
This is not a small company. He spends $7,000 to $10,000 at a time for labels now. They do all their own bottling and packaging and wants all in-house equipment.
I don't know anything about this equipment so looking for any info/feedback on this equipment. He is looking to me to help with the decision due to my background. Also, I have worked for this company since 2003 and seen it grow. 10 year old company that's doing 10 million without even touching the US market much yet but the domestic growth is now starting.

http://www.primeralabel.com/cx1200_features.html
http://www.primeralabel.com/fx1200_features.html

I think he said the complete system is about $50,000.

Thanks for any info or suggestion on any other equipment that will do the same.

shakey0818

So what your saying is your looking for help to help someone not in the sign business to get their own equipment so they can take money out of a sign makers pocket.So they don't have to outsource.Hummmm.I don't think that will go over ,but good luck with that.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I can't speak to the particular equipment you are looking at but I looked at Primera a few years ago for CD printing. What I found was that their equipment features were first rate but their ink costs were prohibitively high.

Rojo

I've also looked at the Primera printers. Cost of supplies seems high.

Okidata and Xante both have toner based roll label printers. Oki makes both of the printers. The Oki's were discussed here lately.

Quick Label Systems has full color thermal based printers. www.quicklabel.com.

Air Art Girl

So what your saying is your looking for help to help someone not in the sign business to get their own equipment so they can take money out of a sign makers pocket.So they don't have to outsource.Hummmm.I don't think that will go over ,but good luck with that.

NO! Don't get snippy Shakey
This is a manufacturer that develops and packages their own products. They have in house graphics people and are looking to keep everything in house. With hundreds of products to label, it will just the newest part of their already packaging systems. Much more control for the 100's of products they package now. Just a growing company. Don't worry, no small little sign company will lose any business.

Thanks Fred, Rojo and Rooster, I will check into those systems.
We already had a conversation with Summa about equipment for another product they are ready to produce. hopefully that will get parked in my shop to produce the products. Oh wait.....that would mean a small sign shop would get more work!! LOL, sorry couldn't resist. No hard feelings Shakey

Jim Doggett

My friend is considering buying his own equipment for making labels.
This is not a small company. He spends $7,000 to $10,000 at a time for labels now. They do all their own bottling and packaging and wants all in-house equipment.
I don't know anything about this equipment so looking for any info/feedback on this equipment. He is looking to me to help with the decision due to my background. Also, I have worked for this company since 2003 and seen it grow. 10 year old company that's doing 10 million without even touching the US market much yet but the domestic growth is now starting.

http://www.primeralabel.com/cx1200_features.html
http://www.primeralabel.com/fx1200_features.html

I think he said the complete system is about $50,000.

Thanks for any info or suggestion on any other equipment that will do the same.

The Primera system is ideal, depending on the complexity and quality-requirement of the labels. Summa's DC line can handle solid colors well. But if they're inclusive of photographic elements, smaller product labels are going to look screened at 300 x 600 dpi.

I'd advise the client be given samples from their label files from each vendor.

Also with the Summa, the labels will be on a wide sheet and need manual weeding. So your client's workflow (how the labels are stored/vended) is another consideration.

My $0.02,

Air Art Girl

Thanks Jim,
the Summa is actually to produce a different product, not labels.

But the sample idea is a must.

I appreciate all the feedback

iSign

Shaky, to add to AAG's comment...
I do a lot of labels for different clients... But you should know that once someone breaks into the big numbers... This is NOT a sign industry product, and I'd doubt many here have the proper label manufacturing equipment.

shakey0818

I do a lot of labels for different clients... But you should know that once someone breaks into the big numbers... This is NOT a sign industry product, and I'd doubt many here have the proper label manufacturing equipment.

I see ya point Doug.At some point you gotta do your own work to keep up with your own demand.

Air Art Girl

Thanks Doug.

I haven't been around here much lately, super busy but I know you are all here for me when I do need you that's why I posted this at all.

I also suggested he attend SGIA or similar to compare and price equipment.
Not sure he wants to wait until Oct to go to New Orleans but suggested it.
He's the boss with the bucks so we will see. I'm just doing my best to help guide the way a bit.