• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seems we have another crazy customer

Graphics.Atl

So in June of last year I took on a trailer wrap from a customer I had already lettered two vans for. The first mistake was not getting everything in writing. We agreed on a price and I took deposit. When I told him that I would need 50% he started telling me that he had never heard of that and that he could never get that much in his industry (construction). After a brief conversation he paid me and I went on with the design. The design process took way longer than it should have (almost a month) because of having to wait for artwork and sending proofs back and forth. So now we are into July. I have already started prepping the trailer for the install, de-oxidizing and removing old lettering. The last trip I made, the trailer was not there even though he told me it would be. Days later I send him what I think is the final proof and I never hear anything. Today (10 months later) I get a voice mail, text message and e-mail from him within three minutes of each other. Each message emphasized the large deposit he gave me and needing the trailer done asap. He went so far as to say that he had been unable to reach me, my number and e-mail have not changed in years. I do not want to work with him for fear of getting screwed. I am thinking of going back and calculating my time for design and proofing plus wasted trip and sending him an invoice, plus the difference (if any) from the deposit. My question is how would you guys handle this?

P.S. Sorry for the long post

MikePro

He's posturing to re-negotiate final payment... make sure you're clear to him about the extra time you ran into designing it. If it was his fault that it took so long to design, then he might be liable for extra fees, or to at least not throw a fit about deadlines.
Just make sure you play the "good service" portion of your end out, get it done asap and don't step on his toes in the process.

Or at least printed/prepped to install. Try to plan an install date with him asap, and if he continues to raise hell about it... then just give him the option to take the graphics, you keep the down payment for materials and design and bill him for the remainder of fabrication (total agreed price minus install) and call it quits.

he'll have you finish it, i'm sure.
... and then put a boot-lock on it until you've got the final check in-hand.

Last edited:

heyskull

I would contact him but I would have made notes on the job sheets when and how I had unsuccessfully contacted him before.
Then stating on the aforementioned dates you recieved no reply.
It is now 10 months since any contact ask him if he has been as we English people say "having a holiday at Her Majesties pleasure"!!!
Explain to him that much of the original deposit has been used in extensive design time and due to the time involved you will have to re-estimate the whole job.
Yes alarm bells are ringing on this job watch out. His initial comment doesn't ring true in the UK as my Construction Industry Client takes 75% before taking any job.

SC

CL Graphics

you got half his money already, you should have followed up long before now. He probably thought you took the money and ran. Give him a call, set up a time for install and get the job done. Why do you think he is not going to pay when the job is done.

Graphics.Atl

you got half his money already, you should have followed up long before now. He probably thought you took the money and ran. Give him a call, set up a time for install and get the job done. Why do you think he is not going to pay when the job is done.

To this day I am still waiting on an approval of the design. Our last correspondence was me emailing him a proof and getting no response. I think he is not going to pay me because he has already written me a bad check (one of the vans I lettered).

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Your gripe makes total sense to normal people and if you can explain to him your side and how much you have already done to help him he should understand and if he doesnt then let him know you need the other 50% before you finish his wrap.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
His initial comment doesn't ring true in the UK as my Construction Industry Client takes 75% before taking any job.

SC

That's the UK.

In the states, each state dictates what a contractor can ask for. In California, it's $1000.00 or 10%, whichever is less.

Your client is doing this because he can. Without a clear policy in place, you are open to any interpretation. In the months of no contact, did you make an effort to contact him to tell him the consequences or sitting on the job? Why didn't you take the initiative in dumping this client once he was a no show or had no contact with you for months?

There is room to say both of you flaked on this. Time to clear it up and tell him your concerns and see if the relationship can be salvaged. You should have billed the guy for the no-show and followed that up with an e-mail. and then every month asked him if the job was still on telling him the clock was ticking. or dump him since you really need to follow up and have a policy in place.

Graphics.Atl

I did not go into much history with this customer. He has always wanted something for nothing and wasted my time. On several occasions he has set up meetings telling me he was going to order from me and didn't. And it is my fault for letting him waste my time but I was in a different mind set then. It is clear he does not have respect for me or my time or my skills. I feel like working with him is like a carny game. It is not as simple as do the wrap and it's over, if it was the case I would do it and go about my business.

perimage

Do the job, but don't release the trailer without Full payment in hand.

Definately agree with this one. I have had similiar instances in one degree or another throughout the years like this. Ironically these people call back for more work.

I just ignore the phone calls and deal with the customers who have there s**t together and dont stress me out.

Good luck.
Robby

Last edited by a moderator:

ZsVinylInc

Here is what I suggest. I wouldn't even start printing the job until I had full payment in hand. That is the only way you are going to guarantee not getting screwed in some way. Just my 2 cents

btropical.com

Do a business lunch and pay for it and smooth this over , complete job on your turf and tell him 10% discount for cash balance .

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Inform him of your shops new "recession policy" you implicated on the turn of the new year 1/1/2010.

Maybe he didn't get your e-mails... :wink:

All work done at your shop with the balance paid in full with cash before the release of the vehicle.

weaselboogie

To this day I am still waiting on an approval of the design. Our last correspondence was me emailing him a proof and getting no response. I think he is not going to pay me because he has already written me a bad check (one of the vans I lettered).

I think you should have followed up too. You have 50% down and submitted a layout. When I don't hear back from a customer especially one that put down a large amount, I'll shoot them another email making sure that they received the first layout. I probably would have followed up around month 1 or 2.

washingtonsignguy

I use a customer status program called ACT!. It works well in recording the history of every client. If i send an email or make a phone call, it goes into this program. It would really help in situations like this where you could just print off the history and be able to show him your strides for conversation. I do agree there should have been more communication within the 10 months, but none of this helps you now. I would finish the job but before installing make him show you a cahsiers check for the balance, and then install. Get your check and be on your way.

UFB Fabrication

Unless its a extreme circumstance if a customer give me a bad check and does not make good right away they are on 1/2 down and CASH on delivery. If I sell anything and get a deposit I want to get it done as fast as we can and get the balance.