• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

seiko colorpainter scsi installation

nsgraphics

I am trying to install SCSI with a used Seiko Colorpainter 64 i just bought.
It looks really suspicious that I tried already 2-3 SCSI controllers, but none "seems to work"
While i install the controller, I go fine with Windows XP, issues on Win 7 64bit.
Anyway I try to switch on , first Printer online and then switching on the pc.
It is impossible to find the printer.
Always getting the message "insufficient termination detected on LVD/SE..."
and mosto of times host adapter configuration error.....also so scsi bios installed, ...
I am reaally desparate right nowas i got no more time to spend.
As I said i am getting suspicious and the problem seems to be on the SCSI card on the printer, but I can't be sure....
Waiting for your replies...

ruckusman

For the SCSI VOODOO always start with the cables and terminators and if the SCSI BIOS is giving problems, then re-seating the card or trying another slot is worth a shot.

Almost all SCSI, with the exception of U320 is considered legacy at this point, so I think you may have issues with drivers on Win 7, with XP you should have no such issues. So stick to XP until you have it working, then you can take a shot at Win 7.

Get the card installed and working at the BIOS level first without anything connected, then windows drivers.

If you are having termination issues...Do you have an LVD/SE terminator installed on the printer, or does it have a switch to enable termination on the printer? Even if it does a separate known working terminator is always preferable.

Check the cable for bent or deformed pins at both ends.

The knack with SCSI is to change only one thing at a time, then re-check.

To speed things up you don't have re-boot over and over again, once you have working controller drivers in windows XP, checked via device manager and you're trying to connect the scanner; connect it > then power it up > highlight the computer at the top of the tree > then click action > scan for hardware changes.

If the scanner is connected properly on the bus it will find it.
I used to use this technique to pseudo hot plug anything SCSI, scanners, external CD/DVD drives, tape drives & noisy drive arrays I didn't want running full time etc

Depending on which SCSI card you are using, the SCSI BIOS at bootup should have exactly the same facility and allow you to scan for devices on the SCSI Bus(es).

With SCSI issues it's almost always the cable & or connections, dying drives aside.

One last thing you might want to try is a small spray with isopropyl alcohol on the cable ends and connections, then connect and wiggle each side in and out very slightly.

SCSI can be fickle to get working, robust once it is and a nightmare when it stops.
I recommend always speaking to it nicely, showering it with compliments, being attentive to it's needs, bunches of flowers and chocolates on occasions and candle lit dinners...good luck

nsgraphics

The only thing I can say to you ruckusman is THANK YOU for your really long message
But I have tried 99% of what you said
I tried 2 XP pcs, one Vista 32bit one & Win 7 64bit
2 29160 controlers , one 19160
2 different cables....
2 6-packs of Beer and many potatochips
(it is been a month trying)
I tried different drivers, thousands of reboots and almost all types of settings

Updating....one day after the sterting of this email....
The problem was burnt SCSI board(printers side) due to power problem (bad wall plug)
Thanks for your time

ruckusman

That's sad to hear, but confirmation of what you had suspected if that is any consolation...
BTW a local electronics repair shop may be able to replace any damaged power components if they are able to read the laser etching or resistor codes