• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

selecting only contours of an object

prinsz

Hello guys,

I am using illustrator for about 4 years now but cutting is new for me.
My sister has a mimaki and she is able to manually select the outside (contour) of an object. When I import a vector logo with a lot of lines walking in and out the object I can only do some things in illustrator with for example pathfinder. Is there a way in cutting master.This should save a lot of time.
Please help
Thanks!
Rene

Bill Modzel

A lot of Corel originated files seem to break images into panels like you are describing when opened in Illustrator. A gradient color will always panel like that also.
They can be a pain to join up, even with the pathfinder tools. You may have to select one
of the edges of a piece and nudge it over the adjoining piece and than weld them together with the pathfinder tool.

Now, if your image looks ready to print and you need a separate cut line, duplicate the layer. Select and delete the useless parts running beyond what you need to cut. Select it all, give it the same fill color and than use the pathfinder tool on it. Do an offset path if you need an outline cut around the image.