• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Selecting the right equipment - Roland or HP.

julionovoa

Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum and I would like to receive from all of you your personal opinion selecting the right printer.
I have considered Roland Eco-Solvent Printer/ Cutter VS-540 54 inch or HP L360 Latex Printer 64 inch.
I really want to know your opinion and recommendations to select the best choice.

Sincerely,

Julio.

theprintlabtx

FWIW, I have been using Rolands for my entire printing career and I haven't had any complaints. Solid printers, will last for a very long time if properly maintained.

kanini

If you go with HP you probably already know that you need a separate cutter to contour cut the prints. In my opinion the HP is great if you have longer runs and the Rolands are better if you have a lot of different jobs in a day (easier material change). That said we do print long jobs on the Rolands also, the material switching takes a bit longer on the HP but the print speed is faster. Both machines have their pros and cons, what are your business? What print jobs do you usually have?

karl moik

the first question you should ask yourself is: what I want to do mainly? Do I need an eco solvent, a solvent, a latex or uv printer? for example, a solvent printers should run every day and has a much more intensive maintenance. I have replaced my HP 8000s (solvent) with a Roland VS-640i (eco solvent) in December and I regret it definitely not. The Roland is more flexible and easier to handle (eg media change). I have always hated the HP and apply to me: never again HP! I love the Roland!
But this is only true for my needs and does not mean that it is for your project too. Like I said, what do you want to do mainly?

Dennis422

If you will have a lot to print, you can get either one.
If you will not have a lot to print, HP is a much better fit because it will not clog the printheads as easily as the solvent printer.

HP but I use HP so I say HP. I have had the L26500 and now we have the L360. I loved the L26500 even with it's flaws. The L360 has taken just about all the problems away for the most part. If you are going to run the printer every couple days I would stay away from solvent printers. The heads have a tendency to dry up without use. So you will be running the machine just to run it. Where as the HP could sit for a week or more no problems. However it also depends on what medias you will be using. Almost anything is profilable by the HP machine. There are some materials though that seem to be solvent or UV only. Do some research go to some distributors and look at the machines. See how you load and unload how fast it starts printing. There is a lot more to it then buy this one because or buy this one because.

rjssigns

As usual these threads come down to personal preference. Nothing based on empirical data over years of operation. The biggest factor is buying your equipment from a vendor with fast, accurate service.

HP might be a good fit, but if you have to wait days for service when Roland is same or next day there's your answer. The inverse can be true also.

One caveat: Even though you may be able to get same day service if the tech is an idiot you gain nothing.

Only piece of equipment I have that I bought from the factory is my Summa. Why? Put simply. they don't break.

rjssigns

HP but I use HP so I say HP. I have had the L26500 and now we have the L360. I loved the L26500 even with it's flaws. The L360 has taken just about all the problems away for the most part. If you are going to run the printer every couple days I would stay away from solvent printers. The heads have a tendency to dry up without use. So you will be running the machine just to run it. Where as the HP could sit for a week or more no problems. However it also depends on what medias you will be using. Almost anything is profilable by the HP machine. There are some materials though that seem to be solvent or UV only. Do some research go to some distributors and look at the machines. See how you load and unload how fast it starts printing. There is a lot more to it then buy this one because or buy this one because.

Nope. We've left our Roland for a week at a time on many occasions with zero issues. I never worry about it while on vacation. It stays plugged in 24/7 so it can do its programmed cleaning cycles.

IMO a lot of folks shut their printers down and unplug them when going away. That's where the problems start, and you'll never get them to admit it. Third party inks exacerbate this "condition" too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If budget is not a concern, some have already said it. It all boils down to what your target audience is going to be. Then, and only then, can you look at the best printer for your needs. Anyone else's opinions are just that.... opinions. They either bought what fit their needs...... or molded their business model around what they can do after buying something somewhat wrong. You'll read many posts here, about people wondering why they can't do this or that with their particular machine. Now, I wonder how that can happen ?? Didn't do their homework, perhaps ??

Seriously, if you were a plumber, would you buy supplies for fixing sinks and toilets or lighting fixtures and bulbs ?? Not bad to have some on hand, but what's your meat & potatoes gonna be ??

player

Do the HP machines need 220? Run really really hot? Take a long time to warm up before they start printing?

Do the HP machines need 220?

Yes all the HP latex machines require 2-220V plugs.

Run really really hot?

Yes and No. The 25500 and 26500 ran very hot with two heaters. A drying and a curing. The No is on the new machines the L360 while it still gets hot and puts off a lot of heat it does not have the heater issues like the ones before. They removed the top heater and made the lower heater more efficient.

Take a long time to warm up before they start printing?

Depends on the machine again
25500 an 26500 took about 10-15 mins to warm up before it would start printing.
The L360 is about 2 mins or less. You can also start the warmup in the RIP while your finishing getting your file ready. You could do this on the old machines too. Which is why I don't know why people complain about the warming time on the old machines.

player

How do the ink costs compare?

Are there inexpensive 3rd party inks for HP?

What about consumables and wear parts etc? Roland has dampers, captops, sponges and wipers. HP?

I understand HP heads are way cheaper, but require frequent changing. How do the different heads compare over time?

Are the cure lights expensive to change out on the HP? How frequent?

tattoo.dan

How do the ink costs compare?

HP inks are way cheaper. $130 for 775 ml cartridges..uses quite a bit less in my experience as well

Are there inexpensive 3rd party inks for HP?

for as cheap as ink is, why even mess with 3rd party?

What about consumables and wear parts etc? Roland has dampers, captops, sponges and wipers. HP?

I understand HP heads are way cheaper, but require frequent changing. How do the different heads compare over time?

Print heads are conusmables at about $99 a hit and take less than 5 minutes to switch out. And I just found out a new power supply costs about $700 too :)

Are the cure lights expensive to change out on the HP? How frequent?

Hopefully I will never know the answer to that!

UV uses lights to cure. The l360 is a latex machine and uses heaters to cure. The heaters do go out but at what time I have no idea. I have only seen one guy have to change a heater on his L25500 1st generation latex. and that was after a couple years of use. He was also running the printer day and night for that time.

julionovoa

Hello all,

I want to thanks to all of you that have written his/her opinions.
I understand the point about the kind of job you wish to do, but when you open a business you do not have any idea of the type of work you will be requested. So, the idea is to select a printer that allow me to adapt to any kind of job I am requested.

Said that, I would like to receive your opinion selecting between those printers.

Regards,

Julio.

player

Do you like asking questions that are common knowledge and to which you clearly know the answers to?

How much do you like it?

Why do you like it that much and how long until you move onto something else?

The 360 apparently has changed things, and I am not up on it.

Congrats on your new position as discussion moderator.

tomence

I would go with Roland or Mimaki, i used to own both and never had problems, then went to buy the HP L26500 and i am not very happy, to many downtimes, printheads go bad in the middle of a print, a sensor broke while loading material, changing material takes forever, i can go on and on, my printer is down as of right now because HP sent me a wrong part it's been a week so far.

Mimaki or Roland are workhorses. Think twice before you buy and who you buy from. Service is very important.

Hello all,

I understand the point about the kind of job you wish to do, but when you open a business you do not have any idea of the type of work you will be requested. So, the idea is to select a printer that allow me to adapt to any kind of job I am requested.

Said that, I would like to receive your opinion selecting between those printers.

Regards,

Julio.

Uhhh..................

What are you getting into business to do? I'm done with this thread. You should just find jobs and outsource them to somebody who does know what they want to do. Buy a Epson Artisan 1340 inkjet printer for your invoices and be done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Regards,

Julio.

Maybe English isn't your first language, but what part of..... know what you want to do before you jump in with both feet don't you understand ?? If you are going to gear yourself towards die-cut vinyl, you don't even need a printer. If you're going to do banners, then anything will work. For the most part.... anything will work, you just have to do your own math. No one here is ever going to have a solid answer that will fit your needs and even if they did, it seems as though you won't understand the reasoning behind it anyway.

Good luck..............

karl moik

Nope. We've left our Roland for a week at a time on many occasions with zero issues. I never worry about it while on vacation. It stays plugged in 24/7 so it can do its programmed cleaning cycles.

IMO a lot of folks shut their printers down and unplug them when going away. That's where the problems start, and you'll never get them to admit it. Third party inks exacerbate this "condition" too.

you're right. no problems with my roland too.