• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self-adhesive vinyl on awning fabric/banner?

astraios

We have a customer who would like to cover sides of awning banner with printed graphic on vinyl. As this would be full cover (not only cut letters), my gut feeling is that we should skip on this. I am guessing vinyl and banner will probably stretch differently on temperature changes which will cause trouble in long term. Has anyone had any experience with this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1651.jpg
    IMAG1651.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 434

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Recipe for disaster. I'd refer them to a local awning mfg. Take it from me. You don't need the headaches.

Andy D

If it's a canvas type material then your vinyl will come off first time it gets wet.
If it a flex face material, similar to heavy duty banner material, and if it's cleaned
well, you should be okay if it's done in piece.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is the awning material itself ?? There was a product called dac-tac which adhered perfectly to regular canvas/sunbrella type fabrics. I know it comes in white and black and other colors, but I don't know where to get it anymore. We only ever stocked the white & black.

astraios

If it's a canvas type material then your vinyl will come off first time it gets wet.
If it a flex face material, similar to heavy duty banner material, and if it's cleaned
well, you should be okay if it's done in piece.

It is a heavy duty banner material, so you are thinking more "this should work" or "this will work"? :Big Laugh

Maybe also to take into consideration that location is really exposed - combo of salt (50 feet from sea), sun and strong winds.

Andy D

It is a heavy duty banner material, so you are thinking more "this should work" or "this will work"? :Big Laugh

Maybe also to take into consideration that location is really exposed - combo of salt (50 feet from sea), sun and strong winds.

No way for anyone to tell you that from one picture, but many awning companies use flex face material such as Cooley, same material we
use all the time for large flex faces, and yes, vinyl will stick to it fine when it's new, but there's no way for me to tell if it's been clear coated laminated, etc.
Also, they may expect to be able to backlight it, most Flex Awnings do light up at night, so keep that in mind before taking the job.
If you think you may waste material and time on this job instead of taking on more familiar/profitable jobs, then I would take a pass on it if I were you.

Andy D

it looks like canvas to me, your only choice is latex paint. IMO WALK!
I thought so too at 1st, but the more I look at it, I think it's solid screen printed, flex material that
you can buy, & they eradicated the border... and the screen ink has since faded..

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_graphics08.jpg
    image_graphics08.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 369

astraios

Material is heavy duty banner (like on truck trailers) not canvas. Nothing has been applied/printed on it yet ... that is dirt on photo as this is 2-3 seasons exposed to outside elements. We can't get Cooley here so i was thinking Orajet 3451.

visual800

my bad! Looked like canvas to me however if it vinyl clean the hell out of it and start applying graphics! should be just fine