• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self funded Health insurance / cash healthcare payers

Typestries

Seeing as how our premiums will continue to rise the 21% allowed by law every year, as they have for the past 5 years, I have turned to researching a self funded plan with a stop loss backup.

Not a big insurer run BS laden HSA plan thats really a health plan in disguise. A bank the cash every month plan.

We have saved over $1500 a year on eye and dental vs a plan for each of the pat 4 years. Our docs love cash payment, and have extended generous cash discounts.

Yes, it would require some upfront legal and accounting costs, but moving forward it would give us more control. And yes, it would also increase the liability potential, but that's what the stop loss and or umbrella policy would be for. There are also a litany of tax advantages (until those are changed).

If you look at the monthly cost, our average yearly claims over five years, plus the MOOP for a catastrophic injury, the numbers are telling. Have no injuries and it's a no brainer.

This would require discipline of course specifically with managing the funds. And of course, things could go "horribly wrong" as the insurance brokers want us to be scared into believing.

Is anyone doing it? How's it going?

TheSnowman

I HATE playing the insurance game with ANYTHING, but especially being self employed and dealing with it. It's all I've ever known, so I just keep paying it higher and higher each year, never using it. I used it ONCE when I thought I had strep...cost me like $700. Glad I paid those hundred each month for 11 years straight so the one time I use it I get reamed.

deegrafix

oh yeah, nothing wrong with this system! Pretty bad when you're screwed whether you have ins or not.