• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sending Large Files to a Printing Company.

149motorsports

I need to send artwork out and I need help on the best way to send a file out with out my computer freezing. Need to send it in vector. Can anyone help?

Can someone post a detailed description on the steps I need to do when saving a large file and sending it to a company to get printed?

I use Flexi Sign cloud.

Thanks!

visual800

Im very shocked Flexi is saving a large file. How large is the file and I would assume the printing company can accept an eps or ai file.

Secondly why does a print company need vector?

Billct2

I agree about asking the printer how they want to receive the file, most have some sort of upload capabilities and may requiring compressing the file.

Tim Aucoin

Most of us (printing companies) use Dropbox or similar to accept large files. Depending on what it is you're after (offset print, digital print, wide format print, etc...), we like to receive high res PDF file(s) for production. A properly saved PDF file can be very useful for most production types. Also, check to see if the company you are sending to has the ability for you to upload through their website. That is very common now. Hope this helps!

Pete Moss

We use drop box quite a bit as well. If you computer is getting bogged down you may want to look into adding RAM. Pretty easy and cheap. Otherwise close all other programs and unrelated files within whichever program you are saving from and export or save. You could also eliminate un-needed programs that start on startup. A fresh computer restart before doing this wouldn't hurt either. I worked with minimal RAM for months and had to output huge files. It's a pain but this should help.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There are a ton of free file transfer services out there, just Google it. I have been using wetransfer.com for years with no issues and you don't even have to sign up for an account. Just put in the info and send the file up to 2Gb.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We're a sign shop, therefore we print and design. I prefer to have vector art so I can get rid of all the unwanted fluff and create a "cut ready" file if need be. A proper pdf is all fonts converted. PDF is the way to go. ai files will be become pdf's on my end without bleeds or crop marks anyway.

Logoadv

The issue I see with this is... why is your vector so large? This makes me think it is not vector, or you are using incompatible features in flexisign like the soft shadowing which gets converted into awful looking raster art when exporting. A true vector file should be measured in KB, not MB, and should never be a problem to email.

149motorsports

What would be another way that i could send the file that will print crisp images? I use some fills, gradients,ect.

Also all my stuff gets contour cut,so if it is not a vector file, how would you put a contour cut line around the image.

149motorsports

I sent a pdf one time with vector and the printing company got the file and the colors were missing or changed from my original file. Am i doing something wrong?

Bly

Wetransfer.com
Set your art up in Illustrator.
Ask them what PDF options to save it as.

visual800

in flexi to make contour cut, select item, choose ARRANGE-MAKE CONTOUR CUT.

how large is your art file if you save in ai, pdf or eps? Give us some more info.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
USPS flat rate box - extra bubble wrap in the corners so they don't get bent.

I'm with the others post up a screen cap of the file & some more info - size of the flexi file - what you have in there(bitmaps, transparencies etc).

wayne k
guam usa

gabagoo

What software are you using? I find vector files are never that large, unless you are using Corel...there seems to be something in that software that makes eps files ridiculously large

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...unless you are using Corel...

Only time I see Corel make really large eps files is if fountain fills are used or raster images are included. MAY I REITERATE, DO NOT EXPORT OR SAVE AS AN EPS IF GRADIENT OR FOUNTAIN FILLS ARE PRESENT!

Use "proper" pdf or tiff only.