• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sending to VersaWorks from design apps

briant1362

I was hoping to get clarification on something a Roland tech support person mentioned on the phone when I called them for a VW/Windows 7 installation question. The support person told me that sending jobs from applications (like Illustrator or Photoshop) directly to VW was not recommended...the "recommended" method was to save off to an eps first and then import into VW. Could somebody tell me if and what I'm sacrificing (color, quality, etc) for the convenience of sending straight to VW from the application?

Thanks a bunch.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Yes you are sacrificing... and I'll go a step further and tell you that I get better color with a PDF workflow than I do with an .eps workflow...

Use Versaworks... not that big of PITA to go through and it really does make a difference.

cgsigns_jamie

You can setup a shortcut to the input folder... Then when you go to save your copy (eps, pdf, tiff, whatever) you select that shortcut and the saved file goes directly into VW so it's there waiting for you. I believe some RIP's refer to these as "Hot Folders"

I use a Mac so I've got a little shortcut on the left of my Finder window that says Input A and Input B (one for each print queue in VW). So if I'm in Illustrator or Photoshop I select "Save a Copy", then click my shortcut for the input folder, give it a name and click save.

**Be sure to save a COPY in those input folders, you still need to save the original file wherever you save your other client files. The files "disappear" once they're processed, so if you don't save the original somewhere else you'll have to go through a few steps to try and retrieve your original artwork file. I posted instructions on how to retrieve files a few weeks back if you ever need to do that**

Then when I go over to the RIP computer (usually control it remotely via RDC) my files are already imported and waiting to be ripped. I don't have to waste time navigating folders looking for the file I want to print.

The input folders are located here:
VersaWorks Program Root>Input-A
VersaWorks Program Root>Input-B

Your VW Program Root is typically located at C:\Program Files (x86)\VersaWorks

briant1362

Jamie....Thanks for the tip. Saving to the input folders definitely saves a few steps.

But (and this may be a stupid question), can anyone tell me what technically is the difference between sending straight from PS/Illy to VW versus saving as PDF/eps first? and what specifically is compromised (for example...are the colors not as vibrant, is the resolution lower). We've been sending in-house created art (jobs where we create art in Illy) to VW for awhile and have not seen any difference in print quality when compared to customer supplied art (jobs where customers provide PDF or eps which we bring directly into VW).

Thanks again.

rozankan

Printing from Application or saving files and load in VersaWorks

I hope I can clarify this question. There should be really no negative impact by printing directly from applications. By saving the file first and bringing into VersaWorks, we find it's really more for the sake of convenience. Multiple files can be brought in, queued up and nested. That is the main reason, I believe our tech support mentioned that we recommend saving files and bringing into VersaWorks. However both scenarios are fully supported.

For more information on the procedures for Printing from Applications are described in the following Roland support document: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/D...vices/Manuals and Guides/RVWBasicTutorial.pdf

( View the section called Printing from Applications).

Feel free to PM or call our Technical Support Department at 1-800-542-2307 and Press "2".

----------------------
Robert Ozankan
Senior Product Manager - Color Products
Roland DGA