• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Separating (cutting the back of) decals?

_Neil

I want to cut some circular decals so that they're separated individually. I've seen gerber do these so they're cut from the back (after printing and cutting from the front), such that there's a small border of the backing material on the edge.

My questions are... what is this process called? And how do I do this (with Omega 2.6)? I can flip the artwork in Composer, but then I'd have to figure out how to tell the plotter to reference from the top edge of the plotter instead of the bottom, and I'd probably have some trial-and-error tweaking to do. I suspect there's an easier, more definite way?

Thanks

J Hill Designs

splitting and cutting from the back (flipped over in cutter) is just for 'split back' decals, where the backer is split in half like bandaid backing. if you want to just have them cut 'out' of the backer, you can experiment with force, depth, and speed, or use a 'perf-cut' function

_Neil

I don't need the split down the center. Gerber showed me several samples of this where they back cut to separate. Cutting the vinyl only from the top, then cutting the backing only from the back, resulted in decals that came out individually, with a small (say 1/8" to 1/4") border around the decal visible.

I've noticed I can see the target from the back with a light at the front, so I'm going to experiment with flipping and lining up to that target for the back cut. I'll report back.

Hielorojo

What plotter do you have? I think that is only possible if you have a Envion or Gs15Plus models(tangetial and swivel knife).
Regards.

_Neil

I think I got it... I was stalled on figuring out how to flip the spool file (top to bottom) while retaining the relative position of the target, but I found this file, which showed I need to reverse it, and showed my how to output by layers.
http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/PDF/tips/Backslit_Decal_instructions.pdf

It was cumbersome to insert the vinyl from the left side, but otherwise it worked well. You can see on this image, that the decal (clear) is cut just to the outside of the black line, but the backing is larger (0.05" more all around). Just need to play with the knife depth for the back cut.

Thanks.

artofacks1

I think I got it... I was stalled on figuring out how to flip the spool file (top to bottom) while retaining the relative position of the target, but I found this file, which showed I need to reverse it, and showed my how to output by layers.
http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/PDF/tips/Backslit_Decal_instructions.pdf

It was cumbersome to insert the vinyl from the left side, but otherwise it worked well. You can see on this image, that the decal (clear) is cut just to the outside of the black line, but the backing is larger (0.05" more all around). Just need to play with the knife depth for the back cut.

Thanks.

I tried doing this before and it worked well. However, I hate having to readjust the knife depth from front to back. I been crusing ebay in hopes I might find an envision knife holder for less, cus they are expensive. So I can have one for front and back.

signage

I tried doing this before and it worked well. However, I hate having to readjust the knife depth from front to back. I been crusing ebay in hopes I might find an envision knife holder for less, cus they are expensive. So I can have one for front and back.

They aren't that expensive if you figure time saved . Time is money:)