Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial to USB for GSX plus

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Graphics on Demand, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Graphics on Demand

Graphics on Demand New Member

Sep 24, 2014
    East Wenatchee, WA
    Just bought a new computer and it doesn’t have a serial port for my GSX plus plotter. I assumed Gerber would be reasonable and allow me to use a simple adapter, but no. It’s a freakin $100 branded adapter from them or the plotter doesn’t run. Has anyone found any sort of work around for this? I’m actually considering trying to figure out how to transfer my serial port from old computer to new one.

Tags:
  2. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Drop in a serial card. You won't be sorry. You'll need drivers though.

JB

3. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    You can use a generic serial port to USB adapter for the plotter, but you should get the Gerber one if you're connecting an Edge. Just make sure that the serial port can be configured through it's driver. It's much easier than an internal card. I've used this Keyspan adapter for years.

Good Luck

4. Graphics on Demand

Sep 24, 2014
    East Wenatchee, WA
    Thanks for the info. I’m actually using a network cable to connect my Edge and it works fantastic. It’s the plotter that doesn’t work. I’ve got a generic adapter now and the computer isn’t recognizing the plotter, even when I select the specific port it’s plugged into.

5. timgo

timgo Graphics Designer

Aug 20, 2016
    Delft
    What is your Windows version in your new PC?
    The drivers of your old software are not compatible for your new PC with new Windows.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. Graphics on Demand

Sep 24, 2014
    East Wenatchee, WA
    I’m running Windows 10, and everything worked just fine on my old computer also running Windows 10. So yeah, don’t try to sell me new software. I’m trying to save money here, not waste it.

7. FunkotronXL

FunkotronXL Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Washington State
    Not all of the adapters are the same, we all wish it wasn't the case but these are the penalties of older equipment. Try the adapter Joe House linked higher up in the thread. That will be the most inexpensive option.

8. Graphics on Demand

Sep 24, 2014
    East Wenatchee, WA
    That Keyspan will work with Omega to the GSX plus? I tried loading the drivers from the Omega disc to the one I have (by Prolific) and windows said it has a better driver and wouldn’t use it.
    What drivers would I use with the Keyspan one? Since the only drivers available online are for Windows 7?