• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serial to USB for GSX plus

Just bought a new computer and it doesn’t have a serial port for my GSX plus plotter. I assumed Gerber would be reasonable and allow me to use a simple adapter, but no. It’s a freakin $100 branded adapter from them or the plotter doesn’t run. Has anyone found any sort of work around for this? I’m actually considering trying to figure out how to transfer my serial port from old computer to new one.

Joe House

You can use a generic serial port to USB adapter for the plotter, but you should get the Gerber one if you're connecting an Edge. Just make sure that the serial port can be configured through it's driver. It's much easier than an internal card. I've used this Keyspan adapter for years.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info. I’m actually using a network cable to connect my Edge and it works fantastic. It’s the plotter that doesn’t work. I’ve got a generic adapter now and the computer isn’t recognizing the plotter, even when I select the specific port it’s plugged into.

timgo

Graphics Designer
Just bought a new computer and it doesn’t have a serial port for my GSX plus plotter. I assumed Gerber would be reasonable and allow me to use a simple adapter, but no. It’s a freakin $100 branded adapter from them or the plotter doesn’t run. Has anyone found any sort of work around for this? I’m actually considering trying to figure out how to transfer my serial port from old computer to new one.
What is your Windows version in your new PC?
The drivers of your old software are not compatible for your new PC with new Windows.

Last edited:
What is your Windows version in your new PC?
The drivers of your old software are not compatible for your new PC with new Windows.

I’m running Windows 10, and everything worked just fine on my old computer also running Windows 10. So yeah, don’t try to sell me new software. I’m trying to save money here, not waste it.

FunkotronXL

Not all of the adapters are the same, we all wish it wasn't the case but these are the penalties of older equipment. Try the adapter Joe House linked higher up in the thread. That will be the most inexpensive option.

That Keyspan will work with Omega to the GSX plus? I tried loading the drivers from the Omega disc to the one I have (by Prolific) and windows said it has a better driver and wouldn’t use it.
What drivers would I use with the Keyspan one? Since the only drivers available online are for Windows 7?