• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serious newbie print problem

Welcome to the forum! Here's my .02

I've been there before, so I'm speaking from my experience "The Flailing Printer". IMO The shop isn't yours to save and from the looks of it the owner doesn't seem to have a plan either. This type of situation will never amount to anything ($$$) but hard work. Running a business and becoming a creative asset/installer is an immense undertaking, while not impossible the learning experience will provide a wide assortment of issues that will be stressful to say the least. I would search and bail asap. There are other creative markets outside of print that can expose you to valuable experience (I live in the city so this is an assumption). Without a leader, this is not one of them.

You can learn a lot from the internet without a doubt, and the community is helpful 100%. The work is up to you.

Best of luck.

PM me for advice. I've done design, web, and now printing in my short career.
Hey Cee84,
Thanks and I totally understand what you mean. Am in the process of looking. Everyday is a fight or problem at this gig and I don't make enough for the stress. I used to work as a scenic technician and costumer so maybe I can find a market down here that will have jobs where I can utilize those skills again.

Cee84

Hey Cee84,
Thanks and I totally understand what you mean. Am in the process of looking. Everyday is a fight or problem at this gig and I don't make enough for the stress. I used to work as a scenic technician and costumer so maybe I can find a market down here that will have jobs where I can utilize those skills again.

Absolutely! Do whats right for you! I stuck around for someone one time and while they were grateful for my dedication, they were never able to pay me what I was worth BC they had to pay themselves and the rent first. It's business as usual before you and after you, so don't guilt trip yourself. Don't corner yourself either, take what you learned here and apply it elsewhere.

You sound like a creative person and we can excel in many different fields.

Absolutely! Do whats right for you! I stuck around for someone one time and while they were grateful for my dedication, they were never able to pay me what I was worth BC they had to pay themselves and the rent first. It's business as usual before you and after you, so don't guilt trip yourself. Don't corner yourself either, take what you learned here and apply it elsewhere.

You sound like a creative person and we can excel in many different fields.
You are right! Thanks.

nssignguy

So why isn't the owner doing all these tasks? It is his shop after all and should know the basics of running everything! I would leave ASAP and tell him to run his own shop. Sounds like he doesn't have a sweet clue!!!

So why isn't the owner doing all these tasks? It is his shop after all and should know the basics of running everything! I would leave ASAP and tell him to run his own shop. Sounds like he doesn't have a sweet clue!!!

Haha I did exactly that, and I moved back up to Nashville where we were missing our friends and family. One day before I left the owner made me try to teach him how to design a vector logo on a painting app on his iPad. The guy thought he would be the new graphic designer with his little paint program. Looking for work up here now, there's lots of shops so hopefully somebody takes pity on me for learning so much in such a short amount of time.