• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seriously can't take it much longer.

laserman70

Go through this all the time..
Sitting eating dinner at a restaurant.

Part of having your own business.
Eat, sleep and drink it.....

Jillbeans

Any time I am out in the world, but particularly when I am at some sort of social function, I get cornered and asked about a sign. In a way it's good, but 99% of the time, the thing that was so imperative for the person that they had to interrupt my dinner or whatever never materializes.

It's like they see you and they think "Oh, there's that sign lady. I think I'll go ask her how much it costs to refurbish my 20 year old lighted sign face that I don't really know what size it is, but she will know exactly what to quote me to the penny, and she will remember it the next time I see her at this event next year (and the year later) and in 10 years when I really might want to get the thing replaced, she will remember the price she quoted me or I will go elsewhere"

It's all part of doing business, and Like it's been said here, you must set boundaries or you will even get asked about signs when you are at a funeral or the gynecologist. My shop is at my home, and even though I have my hours of operation clearly marked, I will still get the occasional drop-in at 9PM on a Sunday. I guess it's better than the alternative, though, which means they bugged someone else.

Love....Jill

PS...my brother, who is a lawyer, and was a District Judge for more than 30 years, can't go anywhere without being pestered for (free) legal advice, and my sister, who worked for a dentist for 30 years, is always being pulled aside to view some nasty looking oral ailment. So it's the same for all trades.

John Butto

After JillBeans mentioned her brother being a lawyer and sister being in the dental profession, it seems we should not complain about someone asking us about signs after hours. Just think of the stories a proctologist has to endure after work.

Suz

After JillBeans mentioned her brother being a lawyer and sister being in the dental profession, it seems we should not complain about someone asking us about signs after hours. Just think of the stories a proctologist has to endure after work.

Mr. Butto,
Are you talking about discussions with anul people, or anul discussions?
With a name like Butto, you would think of that! LOL!

Deaton Design

Totally know what you are talking about. Since I moved my business to a shop next to my house, they think I am in business 24 hours a day. Sometimes I go down at night to work on artwork or something,
and someone comes knocking at my door, wanting me to cut them a "sticker". At 11pm! Then the other day, after working all day, I went for my evening walk down at the ballfield. While Im making my laps,
some guys rolls up to me on a dirtbike with his girlfriend on back, and says, "I need a sticker that says Bobby and Brandy for my helmet. How much do you charge? Stopped me mid walk right on the track. Just told
him I have a 50.00 shop minimum and that did that. I dont mind working, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

sigsignman

you are Blessed to have customers that want to spend their money with you!...I usually say...and it is the truth, please email me at....hand them a card or tell them my name, then the next morning, I get It going. I know you are blowing off steam...but without customers, there would be no reason for you!...good Luck!

CP Signs

I did it all. I've engaged in profitable conversations. Most time I will hand out my card and ask to call in the morning and times I've simply reminded them what day or time it was. I am pretty good at reading people. We are in a small town full of racers and dreamers. A couple of times a week someone will ask; hey how much to wrap my car? My answer is usually anywhere between $1500 & $4500. Bring your car to the shop and we'll talk. I love being at the mall and some racer asking; can you wrap my hood and I'll let you put your logo on my car. I. Always dreamed of having my logo on a beat up 95 Neon.

Mosh

If I had a dollar for every sign people tried to order when I was in a bar I'd be a billionaire!!!!!

slappy

lol! you guys/gals are funny and awesome!
I'm glad i posted this to hear you experiences also! I'm glad i'm not the only one that wants to smack them also!

I'm just frustrated alot anymore.... and I really do need a break. I keep telling everyone, especially my dad.

"1 year" i keep saying. "that's all i got left till i'm in the looney bin because of this place" He hears that bout once a week.:Big Laugh

I can't relax at home cause my thoughts are still at work most the time, and then when they finally are not in my head and i'm relaxed, somebody sees me and ask me about something work related.

.......Clenching my teeth still, headaches, mentally exhausted and cannot concentrate half the time and irritable.. And going through that now for almost 5 years cause it started shortly after i became a mom, i can finally say it's all from STRESS. The dentist can't find a thing wrong with my teeth and i've been to 3. I clench during the day so no mouth guard helps me.

At least i started doing my zumba again. I'm so much happier when i get to do my zumba. Someday maybe i'll get my leg high enough to kick someone in the head lol

Thank you for posting.

BTW, i was at dunkin donuts yesterday and someone asked me to ballpark magnetics... It's like a merry go round that never stops. :banghead:

slappy

Change careers.

About to....
I had about 20+ people come in today since about 9am. Not complaining about that, but i am mentally drained from thinking.
I finally just now locked my doors, and now getting to head home...... where i will cook dinner and mow the grass!
What fun! lol