• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seriously considering Solvent

Kaiser

We've been working with UV for a while now but we just dont seem to have the luck we expect. The colour solidity is never 100% and the problems weve had have just accumulated to a point where we are considering looking for other options. We need to be able to print up to 50mm high or higher and we need good solid prints. We only print on rigid plastics and we need a solution that leaves no scratch trails and can be varnished for higher resistance for certain clients. About 90% of our products are indoors and white is a good bonus but UV just doesnt seem to be cutting it. We usually leave our substrates to polymerize for 24 hours before mounting and packaging.

My question:

Pros and Cons of a Solvent vs UV

What good solvent options are there with flatbed printers?

rubo

...we are considering looking for other options...[/QUOTE said:
another option - with your UV still - you can print on clear polycarb or similar in reverse and mount to your substrate. this way you don't have to varnish, the image is subsurface. mounting film you can find in both clear and white - if you need more saturation you can paint your substrate...all in all one hour job to see how you like it before buying another printer. good luck!

artbot

what's the viewing distance? when you mention "color solidity" are you meaning grain in the print seen a very close range or saturation (intense color)?

Kaiser

what's the viewing distance? when you mention "color solidity" are you meaning grain in the print seen a very close range or saturation (intense color)?

Grain. Like a photograph taken at 1300 ISO. I like solid colours to look as if they have just come out of a spraybooth or off an offset system. Our visibility range is about 30cm from the substrates. About the same distance as a mousepad, so we do need some good quality. Nothing for use outdoors

Matt-Tastic

We need to be able to print up to 50mm high or higher

I think the part that people are overlooking is the one from above. There are no Solvent printers in the standard market (maybe some off brand ones) that print 2" thick. Solvent is typically heated from below, to open the pores and allow the ink to absorb slightly into the face of the media. That's not possible with a thicker media.

That being said, there may be a good solid printer out there for the level of quality you need. It will probably need to be a UV printer, unless you want to mount vinyl prints to rigid substrates. If you don't mind mounting prints, an Epson SC may be the way to go.

Now, it's slow as dirt, and doesn't like not running, but the Mimaki JF series puts out some of the nicest prints I've seen in a UV printer. It's also more expensive than a lot of other UV printers. but if you're looking for quality above all else, it may be an avenue to look at.

Kaiser

I think the part that people are overlooking is the one from above. There are no Solvent printers in the standard market (maybe some off brand ones) that print 2" thick. Solvent is typically heated from below, to open the pores and allow the ink to absorb slightly into the face of the media. That's not possible with a thicker media.

That being said, there may be a good solid printer out there for the level of quality you need. It will probably need to be a UV printer, unless you want to mount vinyl prints to rigid substrates. If you don't mind mounting prints, an Epson SC may be the way to go.

Now, it's slow as dirt, and doesn't like not running, but the Mimaki JF series puts out some of the nicest prints I've seen in a UV printer. It's also more expensive than a lot of other UV printers. but if you're looking for quality above all else, it may be an avenue to look at.

Ive seen the JF. Its a nice machine. Just dont like the table configuration. Otherwise the speed isnt really that bad but Ive worked on mimakis before and they are prone to be a little buggy at times. Besides, Rasterlink has too many unnecessary options that could be replaced for better functionalities and workflow management systems. The fact that Im limited to a chip based system on the ink is also something that turns my nose up. Otherwise, good machines, but not workhorses.