• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Seriously Kidz?

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I'm in here quite often, and I see a lot of "Who has this", and "Where can I find this", or "Who carries this" and on and on....
Maybe it's just me, but, is the younger generation really that lazy?
I have been in the sign trade since 74, and I managed just fine all these years without asking the easiest to answer questions. I called around, I stopped at different suppliers to see what they offered, tried this and did that. Had breakfast where all the contractors (Lots of trucks to letter) ate. Networking... Got to know the people and suppliers in the area and worked with them for better pricing and being a faithful customer. It's not that easy in this day and age, but I am still doing it.... just at a slower pace.
Learned how to run plotters when they first came out... without YouTube.
Now, in this day and age of the internet, I look everything up and still call and ask questions...
It's how I learned.
I'm still learning to this day, but I never ask people for the simplest of answers...
If I can't find a font, I find one close, and rework it, or take an hour or so to find the right one.
I talk to the customers and tell them what I can and can't do.... I ask them if they know what font they have even, and we either part ways, or they say, OK, that'll work, lets do it, and off we go.
You can't expect everyone to do your work for you.
You learn nothing from that.
It's like these stupid High School Tests they use now.... Just remember the answers, and after you pass, you can forget it all...
It's a great Trade and after 46 years, it's still paying the bills and keeping a roof over my head and a nice truck in the driveway.
There, I feel a little better.
Soldier On Then!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's what we created. Things to make work a little easier and now all the shortcuts are used and nobody knows the basics. It's in every business, industry and household. How many people sit down for a family dinner, unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas ?? How many people have those robotics ?? Now, they want cars to drive themselves. It's a throwaway society and no one retains anything they were taught. It's a new world, so lucky for those like you and me, we're on our way out.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I get people take advantage of it, and the modern age people are lazy. I can go on Facebook and 90% of the crap written on there is dumb questions that they should have just written in google.

On another note, if I can come here and get thousands of hours worth of experience by writing a dumb question, why shouldn’t I? People are all trying to save themselves time and money and if I come here and ask a question and it gets me an answer in 10 mins. I’ve just saved myself hours of research and phoning people up.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
So, are you suggesting to use Google (The modern phone book/users manual) instead of asking the questions here?

What happens when you do that? Where do the first 3 links take you? :D

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I think the cynicism comes as we age.
Knowledge and finding answers is a good tool, use it to your advantage. Its great for sales because it builds trust with your clients that these other bozos will never be able to do. Be a resource and people will reach out to you for your solutions which is ultimately what you want.

Jeremiah

It's what we created. Things to make work a little easier and now all the shortcuts are used and nobody knows the basics. It's in every business, industry and household. How many people sit down for a family dinner, unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas ?? How many people have those robotics ?? Now, they want cars to drive themselves. It's a throwaway society and no one retains anything they were taught. It's a new world, so lucky for those like you and me, we're on our way out.
"We" I am not part if that We . I was raised by grandparents. They gave values of 2 generations before mine. The kids I went to school who wanted the easy way were losers anyway. They passed on all the loser mentality to their kids and grandkids. Many are our government officials now. I ask for information from peers, but learn from it for the next time. I dont give quick information to lazy people . Give a hand up not a hand out . .......... Last night I was shocked. My wife is a great designer. After 25 years She said Ok . Show me how run the machines. I sat her down at the controls and loaded scraps in a machine so that she can ruin some things first .

WildWestDesigns

"We" I am not part if that We . I was raised by grandparents. They gave values of 2 generations before mine. The kids I went to school who wanted the easy way were losers anyway. They passed on all the loser mentality to their kids and grandkids. Many are our government officials now. I ask for information from peers, but learn from it for the next time. I dont give quick information to lazy people . Give a hand up not a hand out . .......... Last night I was shocked. My wife is a great designer. After 25 years She said Ok . Show me how run the machines. I sat her down at the controls and loaded scraps in a machine so that she can ruin some things first .

While I was raised by my parents, they still gave values of 2 generations back. Sounds weird, but my parents were boomers. My sister is considered Gen X (there is an 11 yr gap between us) and I'm actually considered a Cusper or Oregon Trail generation (the gamer in me goes for the Trail generation) not Gen X (my parents were on the older side when I came along, not an accident, but just on the tail end of what was considered back then on the older side (today's world it's more of when people are having their 1st one)).

However, bare in mind, most people unfortunately think in generalities and lump people in their generation. I've seen Gen X's act like a millennial and vice versa. I've even seen boomers act that way. So I think there are still deviations of generational norms as well. I for sure don't go in for whats being bounded about, and one can say that my generation is where things started "deteriorating".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe in titles. That is for the weak-minded and handicapped. The handicapped need it for parking and ADA related things. Other than that, you are what you are and you cannot blame it on when you were born. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree, so I highly doubt an unrealistic set of parents are gonna have a horrible uncaring child grow up to be a problem in most cases. They will in 99% of the cases raise a child in their own liking. That goes for single parent homes, too.

WildWestDesigns

I don't believe in titles. That is for the weak-minded and handicapped.

Ummm, we use titles all the time. I mean, master and apprentice (for the old timers, I think those would be for titles that were used for sure, even for me they were), aren't those titles? Also have titles within the hierarchy of business organization. Can't get away from titles (well, I take that back, millennials are trying to by applying labels to them that are incorrect, but I digress).

As to this:

Other than that, you are what you are and you cannot blame it on when you were born.

When one is born, really does have an affect on your upbringing. Parents (or lack thereof) do play a part, but the time period also plays a part. That gives context to why certain people do certain things, say certain things etc.

Those that grew up knowing social media and really only social media have been influenced far greater from that then from their parents. That applies directly to when someone was born.

Have you ever thought a child do something that seemed so out of character particularly given what you thought you knew about the family and how that dynamic was? There was a line from True Lies that I always thought was appropriate to this. Tom Arnold's character tells Arnie that "you and Helen aren't her parents, it's Axel Rose and Madonna. You can't compete with that constant bombardment, you're outgunned daddy-o". Well, now it's the twitter blue checkmarks, but same thing.

Sorry, but what makes someone what they are depends also on their environment. Now, it is what they take away from that and how they use that, but environment does play a part.

My mom says that this reminds her so much of what happened in the 60s, but accelerated, because of technology that exists now that didn't then. Time period in which someone grew up in, does have an impact, depending on what's going on in that time period, maybe even more then one's parent's ever could. Doesn't apply to everyone, but it does happen, I wouldn't disregard it outright.

I'm not trying to mitigate personal responsibility at all, if that's what you are trying to get at (I'm not saying that you are, I truly don't know, just want to make sure that that is known that I'm not trying to say that).

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm going to have to start reading my wife's psychology books just to keep up with you all... Think I'll start with the DSM 5 and start doling out diagnoses, there are plenty to go around here.

20200718_210305.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While, your insight is always helpful, it seems this time you've gone down the wrong fork. I'm not talking about what you learn as a kid, growing up and slowly becoming an adult. More of what values a kid sees while growing up, until he/she is kinda on her own. Labeling someone a this or that generation is fine, if it makes you feel better, but it's not necessary. You are what you are. Labels are just to make the weak-minded feel better about their shortcomings. How many vice presidents does a bank really need ?? What a kid learns today is so far beyond what you'll ever know, doesn't do anything, except rob a kid of a childhood. How many times have you heard someone say, where did the time go ?? They're already a young adult. Well, if the parents/parent don't care, then most of the neighborhood won't either. Sure, some get extra help, but not usually caring help, just lip service.

Look at what's going on in our country, alone. Are all those young people looters, protesters or just plain bad ?? I can hardly call them a journeyman or dentist. Do you think they care about titles ?? There's no respect for what they've learned, authority or themselves. Do you think their parents are proud of them ??

Yes, while some titles might be needed for identification, most are invented to give new meaning to nothingness.

Jeremiah

This thread is just like the news. One statement is twisted so much to fit a specific idea or explanation. The blame game goes on and on ! Last night a person made the statement that her entire day was ruined and things just fell apart with her family, because my wife said " I think it's going to rain Weds " . She got seriously mad at my wife for causing all the problems . Ummmm I believe Spare the rod spoil the child .

Johnny Best

Growing up you would get the responses, "ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer" and "no question is stupid if you don't know the answer".
This is Signs101 so you have people looking for answers. The "younger generation" might seem clueless but if your Iphone acts up they can fix it for you right away. And as far as us "old guys" I bet none of you can type fast with both thumbs on a phone.

DPD

Those quick answers they seek are one of two things. Either they need a quick answer in which case from a business POV they are not wasting time on the project and making more money by putting less time into it or it's something quirky, if the answer is correct it opens up other opportunities in sign making. This forum is for asking questions. Is it not? Else it just becomes an elitist sign making forum that only a few would like to contribute to while everyone else stays away because well, its just not a very helpful or friendly place.

If this is truly a forum of experienced sign makers (which I believe it is) then everyone should be happy to lend their experience. I'm no beginner but I find myself asking beginner questions every once in a while. We all do. I see questions from experienced guys that I think are simplistic.

Let's all get along and help each other.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I get people take advantage of it, and the modern age people are lazy. I can go on Facebook and 90% of the crap written on there is dumb questions that they should have just written in google.

On another note, if I can come here and get thousands of hours worth of experience by writing a dumb question, why shouldn’t I? People are all trying to save themselves time and money and if I come here and ask a question and it gets me an answer in 10 mins. I’ve just saved myself hours of research and phoning people up.
I get what you mean, but you would think that they might like to be able to say to themselves, that they are smarter than the next guy because they figured it out themselves... You know, having some pride in who you are and what you do?
Just an Old Shingle Maker moaning....

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think there's a big difference between back in the day and now seeing how you didn't really have access to the amount of information and actual professionals from all over the world like we do now. The future is now old man! But yeah, you got to love those posts asking, "How do I open a sign shop, I have no experience whatsoever." It's usually people thinking it will be as easy as printing money.