• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Servers for Dummies

ChiknNutz

I know it's way overkill at present, but Dell is having a really good sale on select servers. If you choose the right base server, you can get up to 35% off. I'm looking at a Poweredge 840 with a dual-core Xeon processer, 2GB ram, 4 160GB hot-swap hard drives on RAID 5 (but I think RAID 10 is better from what I've read so far), MS Small Business Server 2003 R2 and a 3 yr hardware/software warranty for $1700. Haven't pulled the trigger or anything, but really tempted.

ChiknNutz

'nother question...is it better to use a switch or a router? I'd need 5 or 6 ports to connect everything I'm planning on at the moment (2 or 3 workstations, server, desktop printer, wide format printer). And what about a firewall, does it reside on the server (if done that way) or each system?

paul luszcz

Warning Warning Warning

Microsoft Small Business Server is a truly horrible piece of software. It puts so much control and so many authentications and permissions into your network that you can never get anything changed without professional help. And even that is hard to come by.

Stick with any of the previously mentioned solutions.

SBS is so bad, it's not even possible to disable it.

mbarden

Hey Chris,
Switches and routers acutally serve to different porposes. Routers are generally used for "Routing" internet signal and traffic to or from public and private networks. Al lot of routers have switches built into them. Switches themselves come in several different config but generally are either "Managed" or "Un Mamaged". I generally use the router that is supplied by my ISP. I them attach a firewall device (That may or may not be a router as well) and then I will put an un managed switch to join all the PC's and servers.
I do not place the firewall on the server as it places the level of protection at the level you are trying to protect. To close for my comfort.
On a side note, what Oracal product are you using for your general purpose printing. I have been using Rolands material but am figuring out that it is quite expensive.
Thanks
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

ChiknNutz

Thanks Mike. I use OraJet 3165 for the bulk of my printing. I like the 3165 better than 3651 as it's a bit thicker, which makes handling a bit easier (not quite so floppy) and is better for small RTA-type decals, plus is better for full-bleed contour-cuts as the edges don't lift nearly as much as with 3651. It carries the same longevity of 5-yrs. I also have used OraJet 3551RA (and keep this on-hand now) and 3M ControlTac. The 3551RA is a great product for all-around use including rivets and mild vehicle wraps.

mbarden

Thanks Chris,
I have a sample roll of the 3551RA and it's acompanying overlaminate and am going to give it a test. What;s you opinion versus the 3M 180C?

Mike B

ChiknNutz

3551RA is a hi-perf calendered film, so not quite as conformable as 3M 180C, but the 3951RA is "to DIE for" in regards to conformability, ease of use and adhesion.

Gene@mpls

Chris- what is the white point like on 3165? I use a lot of 3651 but don't
like the gray-ness of the white. Also 3551 as long as I am asking (begging)
Thanks Gene

ChiknNutz

As far as I can tell, they all share the same or very similar white. 3951, however, is significantly more "yellow" in my opinion.

jiarby

SBS (Microsoft Small Business Server) is a GREAT product! It just may not be appropriate for a Mom & Pop shop....

It combines several Enterprise level products that normally require separate physical servers and separate licensing into one bundle for small businesses...
SQL server (databases)
Exchange server (E-Mail)
Web/Proxy Server
Sharepoint Server (document sharing & collaboration)
Project
Domain controller (manage user accounts & file permissions)
Remote Access

The alternative for a small business (10-25 users) costs ALOT more money so SBS was built to bundle common IT services into one box instead of 5-6 separate servers.

It is not a good choice for a 3-5 user business... that's TOO small. It is great for real estate/inurance offices, large churches, small charter schools, growing manufacturing businesses (2-10m/yr)...
If you are doing 25k/mo then you are still too small to need that kind of equipment. When you get 10+computer using employees and are doing >100k THEN you can begin to benefit from centralized account management... group policies/permissions....online document sharing portals...collaborative project management, etc...

Just because SBS is not right for YOU doesn't mean that it is a bad product. It was just a bad choice!

ChiknNutz

Just saw that there is a Windows Home Server program....has pretty good reviews. Based on what it does, looks like this would be a good fit.

On a side note, looks like there is a lot of folks running Linux for servers for a whole host of reasons, security and speed being the top reasons it looks like (and FREE too). However, I know nothing about Linux, though I was pretty fair when DOS was used a lot...and I see Linux at it's core is similar to DOS. Anyone here good with Linux?