• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Service Calls

billsines

Ok so how many of you maintain your own equipment or do service calls? For the last 10 years I have serviced all of my own equipment. All of it. Now when I called the company about a printer problem, they offered to come out and look at it. I asked how much. They said $800-$1000. I wonder how much money I have saved over the years servicing all my other equipment. Is this a normal range for a service call? Maybe I am in the wrong business? All this after they told me it's a really easy fix.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Maybe you should go into business for service calls?

I think distance is the biggest key, you must be far from the tech?

fresh

we fix our equipment, never needed to pay anyone and have done some major replacements/repairs.

equippaint

I can get the Caterpillar dealer to come out in a $200k service truck to work on an excavator for less than the printer dealers charge for a service call. It is ridiculous

papabud

Lone Wolf
i normally handle the smaller simple stuff myself.
i am more than capable to handle any level of repair. i just choose to spend my time on more productive things.
but like i said i would rather do the quick easy to fix stuff and keep running than wait on a tech

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most fixes on these printers can be done by end users but I will add that when I go out on service calls it's for 2 reasons. 1. the person just doesn't feel comfortable doing the repair and 2. they think they could do it but they want to make sure it gets done right. I'm not a full time field tech and am in the office more often than not and get paid a full time salary which I prefer because techs who make a living on service calls have very volatile incomes. This is why you see some guys charging an arm and a leg because they don't don't when their next call will be!

ams

I only hire a tech for a new print head replacement or for major issues like taking half the machine apart.

Terry01

Have service all my own over the last 35 years, I too was too far from a tech when something went
wrong or wouldn't work. I have helped many signwriters over the years and the techs know it.I also
get calls from the techs on different problems they encounter, and its worked both ways. Have had
many different makes also, and that puts me at an advantage. Have great delight advising someone
over the phone and getting them going, when techs have given up and do not even charge the client
due to their inability to diagnose and fix without replacing every part they can think of.
My latest was one on here where they quoted 9000 bucks and I had him up and going for $24

billsines

With regards to the service call, I declined and was able to figure it out in about 1.5 hours. All set again. Thanks for your replies.