• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Setting post with foam...Anyone have experience with this?

biggmann

I was in Home Depot yesterday and saw a product that you break a seal on a bag and mix two liquids and pour it into a post hole and it expands into foam. It says that its the same as two bags of cement and after doing some research it seems to hold stronger. I have been familiar with this product in the past called A-B foam but never for setting post in the ground. It looks promising but I would like to hear some real world experiences if there is any before I go and set a sign in the ground with it.

Here is a video showing it in action and if you look at their other videos they have one doing a strength comparison against concrete.

[video=youtube;cIllP-rDNRM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIllP-rDNRM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat Whatley

If I looked that up correctly the price is $26 for a gallon of parts A & B and will do 8 holes. That's comparable to quickcrete.

Biggest problem I see is having to wait an hour before installing a sign. Right now, for most of what I do, I can set the posts, install the sign, level everything and leave.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have a bunch but so far have only used it to set the post for my mailbox. It wiggles more than concrete but it's also not going anywhere. You can set your post them pour the foam, but you can't move it afterward.

The issues I have are you can't move the posts around to level or plumb them... So that means you have to stake the posts so they're exactly where they need to be. My other issue is the need to calculate how much of the two parts to mix depending on the size of the hole and the size of your posts. If the foam rises too much, you've got a mess that takes a while to clean off the posts.

Other than that, I like the product. No need to spend the time and effort to run into Home Depot for bags of concrete.

.... I had the foam delivered. Didn't realize hd carried it.

rjssigns

Hydraulic action of the foam must be tremendous. I wonder how that would work in a loose sandy soil?

Deaton Design

I installed a sign couple weeks ago and had to remove the old one. It had been set with either this material or something similar. I can tell you it was in there pretty dang good.
We had a hard time getting them suckers out of there. Im going to try this on the next install...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Was the $26 price about right?

This is what I received from GRS (I purchased the Secure Set SP):

Secure Set is packaged in 4 different case sizes. There are 1, 2, 3, and 4 gallon kits. Secure Set is priced at $28.00 per gallon plus shipping. As an example, one gallon of Secure Set (1/2 gallon of "A" and 1/2 gallon of "B") will normally set (5) - 4x4 wood posts, or (6) - 2 3/8th" diameter metal posts. If your project required 15 standard 4x4 wood posts, you would need 3 gallons of Secure Set; setting them 24" deep with an 8" diameter hole. We package all orders to fit the needs of the customer and we include the measuring cups, high speed mixers and instructions in each box. Normal shipping rates average 45 to 50 cents per pound within the USA, and approximately $0.90 per lb for Canada. Secure Set weighs 12 pounds per gallon.

Secure Set SP[FONT=verdana, geneva] is the newest addition to our product line. It comes in one size. It is a premeasured amount designed to fill a standard hole measuring 8" wide by 24" deep. In that hole you can set a 4x4 wood post, a 4x4 vinyl post, a 2 3/8" metal post or a 4" round wood or metal post.
Secure Set SP[FONT=verdana, geneva] is designed as a "Use it once and throw it away application". There is no measuring required, you simply pour the "A" component of the smaller container into the larger container with the "B" component, shake it up by hand and pour it into the hole. It is priced at $8.95 per kit plus shipping. This kit is ideal for smaller projects and is by the far the easiest and most convenient method ever designed to set a post. If you have not seen our [/FONT]Secure Set SP[FONT=verdana, geneva] product video, please click here to view it. [/FONT]
[/FONT]