• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Setting up a sheet with crop marks in Onyx

SIGNTIME

Hello,
I am trying to set up a sheet with crops and bleed in Onyx Job Editor. When I set up with the "Marks" tab, the marks are on the outside of the bleed. If I set them up as fold marks under the "Bleed" tab they are on the trim which is good but I want to print multiple copies and have the marks overlap on the middle, top and bottom to save room / do less cutting. What am I missing to add bleed, crop marks on the trim and not have any space between the multiple copies / overlap crops?
Thank you

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'm not sure if I understood correctly but you only want the bleed on the outer edges of this whole job correct? And no bleed at all on the inside so you can cut two copies with one cut? If so I don't think it's possible in Onyx.

SIGNTIME

I want to set up a file that looks like this with these type of crops

Attachments

• WolfHill-PrintFile-3x4-test.jpg
    WolfHill-PrintFile-3x4-test.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I want to set up a file that looks like this with these type of crops
Well there, you figured it out. Although I'm not sure why you need the bleed if you're cutting to the outer crop marks. I set them up like this quite a bit, but don't use any bleed.

SIGNTIME

I set that image up in illustrator. I'm wondering if Onyx has a way to set it up like this to save time

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I set that image up in illustrator. I'm wondering if Onyx has a way to set it up like this to save time
Yeah I don't think there is any way to set that outer edge bleed in Onyx. Crop marks and copies you should be able to do just like that.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I haven’t ever tried this so wouldn’t be able to confirm if it’s possible to do in onyx..

But couldn’t you just put the marks on 1 artwork and then step that artwork up in onyx with 0 gap between copies?

CanuckSigns

Why do you need bleed on the outer perimeter? I would set these up in onyx with trim corner marks and 0 space between copies.

Bleed is not as critical in our industry for things like this, just cut 0.5mm inside the print with your ruler and knife when cutting them out.

Signed Out

Why do you need bleed on the outer perimeter? I would set these up in onyx with trim corner marks and 0 space between copies.

Bleed is not as critical in our industry for things like this, just cut 0.5mm inside the print with your ruler and knife when cutting them out.

So if we are doing 8"x4" signs, we print an 8'x4' print, 144 signs, and mount to a 8'x4' sheet of alum. We then shear down the sheet into 8"x4" signs. If you don't have bleed to on the perimeter, then everything else has to work out perfectly to get all 144 signs our of a sheet. You can't really shear off less than .1", so if you just cut inside the print, a bunch of signs end up a little smaller than the rest. This can present problems when putting the signs through a jig to punch holes and round corners, especially if the copy on the signs is tight to holes or such.

Another scenario is if you have several different signs, of varying quantities that you need to gang up. Same material and substrate, different designs and sizes. Would be nice if you could throw a handful of these at onyx and let onyx gang everything up to your sheet size, and apply trim marks and a mirror bleed on the perimeter of the print.

All of this can be done in illustrator or any design software, but it would be a big time saver if onyx could handle it.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
In Corel I can make quick work of this using a couple of custom macros. Agree that no bleed is needed.

Signed Out

In Corel I can make quick work of this using a couple of custom macros. Agree that no bleed is needed.

Are you adding in the trim marks on the corners of the signs using a macro? Making copies of the signs and arranging them with a macro? I use a few macros I've created in illustrator for bleeding and cutlines. Hadn't thought to try a macro for this type of situation. Care to explain your macro process a bit?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hello,
I am trying to set up a sheet with crops and bleed in Onyx Job Editor. When I set up with the "Marks" tab, the marks are on the outside of the bleed. If I set them up as fold marks under the "Bleed" tab they are on the trim which is good but I want to print multiple copies and have the marks overlap on the middle, top and bottom to save room / do less cutting. What am I missing to add bleed, crop marks on the trim and not have any space between the multiple copies / overlap crops?
Thank you
change your spacing in the layout section in ripque. it should offset it to not overlap