• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Setup for push thru acylic

what the

Owner/op
I am setting up files for routing metal for push thru acrylic- I hate when I leave to much room which shows the back panel at all but don't want a tight install as well. What is the common bleed used from someone else eye. I have been using .031.
Thank you so much!!

astro8

We don't do it like that unless the letters are inset. We cut the hole in the metal/aluminium/acp/acm/mdf 1, 2, 3mm smaller depending on the size of letters and route/laser a clear acrylic filler between the backing panel and the letter or route the back of the letter down the thickness of the substrate to fit in the hole. Glue with weld-on or similar. Hundreds of signs like that...zero light leak or offset brightline around the letters.

If inset we use .25 - .5mm usually. If thermal expansion is a problem you may need to use up to 1- 1.5mm. If thermal expansion is a problem with the proud letters, usually large stuff we cut individual backs with a good size overhang so the letters float but are still captured on both sides of the substrate by the acrylic letter and backer.

EDIT...by large stuff I mean 600mm - 1200mm / 2 - 4 feet on solid acrylic. Larger than that are mostly always fabricated.