• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sewing banner hems

tbullo

Superunknown
We picked up a Consew(206) walking foot machine from one of our customers. I was wondering if anyone has a source for a hem folder for this machine? I've seen something on youtube that looks like it mounts to the machine and you run the banner through it and it folds the banner. New to sewing and not sure what thats called.

Z SIGNS

Sewing machine is a fun handy tool

If your doing vinyl banners why not just make a taped hem ?

We have an old industrial singer.
It is used for sewing pole pockets on long term boulevard banners.
We assemble the banners with tape,mark some lines and then sew it

We also play after hours making leather wallets cell phone cases and other cool stuff.

On the rare occasion that we have to do a hem we fold the hem over,staple it, then just wing it.

Always found those hem attachments a PIA

I am curious how others finish banners

reQ

I use tape only, rarely using sewing machine when customer needs banner with tassels.

WildWestDesigns

Always found those hem attachments a PIA

Most attachments are of these type are. But then again, when I learned to do stuff like this (oh no, starting to sound like who know who now), it was without the attachments.

To me, it seems like it takes more technique to use them then not to.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You might want to look into replacing the motor with a servo motor. In my opinion they are much easier to use and with the speed control box much more controllable. The big industrial motors have extremely sensitive clutches. This is similar to the one I changed ours to
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131533547404
You can set the maximum speed with the knob. The pedal they come with is still fully variable, but only up to the maximum speed. Makes learning a lot easier. Here is a genuine Consew one too http://www.ebay.com/itm/151695455948 - it just has push buttons instead of the knob for the max speed adjustment. They are also a lot lighter and more energy efficient than the big ac motors.

I have one of those hem folder attachments somewhere or another. Had it on there for about 2 weeks and took it back off. Did not much like it and as someone else mentioned - I also thought it was a pita to use. Nowadays we just cut banners with about an inch to an inch and a half of extra material all the way around and just fold it by hand as we run the banner in. Its actually pretty easy once you get used to it. It can be easier if you use a hard roller and crease the material on your work tables ahead of time though.

Like I said, the servo motor will make things a LOT easier to control. Especially when you are getting used to running it. Speed while maintaining accuracy will only come with time and experience. If you try to go fast right now your hems will be all over the place wandering left and right like crazy. We have a wholesale place here in town that does finishing work for a lot of shops - couple of older women in there who have been sewing for many many years - its crazy how fast they can run the machines. Literally wide open as fast as the machine can go and they stay dead on straight. I've had our machine for a few years and still cannot imagine running ours at max speed. At max speed the thing is literally scary fast! :omg:

You also want to stock up on a few packs of needles, spare bobbins, at least one spare bobbin case, and some sewing machine oil (I use zoom spout oil which makes it really easy). I've not seen pre-wound bobbins with the #69 weight thread we run so its pretty much "roll your own". As long as your table came with the attachment its very easy to wind them though. We also run both black and white thread depending on the banners. We usually keep about 5 to 10 bobbins pre-wound and ready in both black and white and keep both black and white spools on the machines spool stand. Only takes a minute to rethread the machine for a different color.

WildWestDesigns

I've not seen pre-wound bobbins with the #69 weight thread we run so its pretty much "roll your own". As long as your table came with the attachment its very easy to wind them though.

To my knowledge, there aren't pre-wound for that weight.

My mom is one of those that's crazy fast with hers machines. To me, it's one of those mesmerizing things to watch when someone is just plugging along wide open and still dead on accurate.

For a variety of reasons, I actually suggest winding your own. Even with our embroidery machines, I wind mine. Just a lot more options and consistency and quality are typically better as well (although pre-wound ones have gotten better).