• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SGIA Expo

iSign

...since I started consulting for a local start-up marketing/sign shop here in Vegas, how many vendors and dealers have already heard of us, when I give them my business card. I mean, I know I'm famous... ;-) but to have a new business to be known already is pretty cool.

Of course, my branding hasn't hurt that either. haha!

hmm.. wondered what branding so I checked your profile
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
oh.. THIS famous branding many here will remember, COOL! :ROFLMAO:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

..sorry... had to do it :peace!:

Biker Scout

HAHA... hadn't seen that in awhile. Yeah, I remember that whole thing. I can't remember who I got that avatar from, but that was funny.

Here's my personal company now: OCD-Studios.com

I owned then sold my sign shop in California. That was called Mr.Bill's Workshop, new owner came in, changed things up and called it Guru Design Studio, I only stayed on until they were on their feet. (The Guru left, and I think so did their business) I hear people still come in and ask for me by name, and walk out when they find out I'm not there. And I still have quite a few long distance e-mail clients that I do work for back home.

But the company I consult for here in Las Vegas is not mine, obviously... I should probably update my profile.

Biker Scout

Oh, I completely forgot... I got to meet "East Coast Arttie" at the Gerber booth. I walked by, saw him... and said, "Hey, you're famous! I've seen you in just about every sign magazine for years."

He holds out his shaky hands, (like every pin striper does) says I must be mistaken, he can't paint a straight line to save his life. :ROFLMAO:

Nice guy. Going to be pin striping at the SEMA show.

showcase 66

Took my wife yesterday and she fell in love with the Matte Black look that they were doing on the Cadillac in the oracal area. She said I can finally put something on her car if I will wrap it in that stuff.

Biker Scout

I guess we picked up a demo Mutoh on the cheap from Francis, because he didn't want to ship it back!

Nice back-up printer. :cool1:

We also got a 63" rotary trimmer, a banner seam welder and a pneumatic semi-auto grommet machine at the show! (It does those new fangled polycarbonate clear grommets... supposedly don't tear out the corners like the brass and nickel ones do)

premiercolour

Merchant Member
that was a great steal of valuejet 1204 - one year old.

Good to finally met you Mr. Bill and Philip.

Keith from Signwarehouse was super. He looked serious but a great friendly guy from inside I'd say. ; )

Sticky Signs

Hey BS,
what welder and grommet machine did you buy? I'm interested in hearing what your thoughts where on the welders at the show.

Biker Scout

We ended up going with a Pneumatic Grommet Press with wheeled base from Sinclair. $1400 for their small one. We really wanted to pick up a fully automatic press, where you just dump in the grommets and it flips and sorts them. Punch the pedal, *BAM* But the only ones at the show were a bit over priced, especially when we know how much we can pick one up from China, including freight.

Incidentialy, the Sinclair Pneumatic Grommet Press is exactly like the one from Segal, but the dies are set for the Clear Polycarbonate Grommets and they threw in 2000 grommets for us since we purchased at the show! You will need to consider having an Air Compressor, if you don't already... but kind of think about what kind of hose, and will it be in the way and dragging all over your shop as you wheel the press around. Or you can just have a grommet station and move the banner around the press.

Sinclair had the banner seam welder track unit, but they wanted $14k for it. While we do have a need for it, just not the volume yet to justify it, especially when a flatbed printer is tops on our list first. So we ended up getting a heat welder seamer unit that looks like the unit from Leister. They wanted $4500, and an additional $182 for the edge hemmer attachment. Fellers sells the same unit for $3995, and the Hem Kit for $155.

We got the import version for $390, and will order Feller's attachment for it. Good enough. It's just a variable temp/speed heat gun on wheels. If the unit ends up crapping out in a year, oh well... it was only $400. We go through that much banner tape in a month now.

Sticky Signs

Cool. Let me know how the cheapo unit works.
In my experience, there is no easy way to grommet banners. It's always a pain no matter what kind of equipment you have. I did like the Miller with the built grommet press. I didn't try it but it did look easy.