Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sh#t, i just got scammed

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by "Deposit Please", Oct 18, 2010.

1. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    Damn, i just got scammed. I just purchased a "Fake" Apple ipod nano 5th gen from craigslist. I bought it from a local guy who met me for the exchange. It looked real, i even had the case in my hand before i gave him the money. I didn't find out until i got home. Damn Anyways, i have a pic here with 2 ipod cases (side by side) One is an authentic case that i had for a couple years & the other is the bogus one i just bought. Without doing any research, can you tell which one is the fake??? Now just think how difficult it would be to spot the fake if you didn't have a real case to compare too. I should've brought my real case with me to make that comparison before i made the purchase. I hate myself for that stupidity. Anyways, a lesson learned.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    was gonna say that maybe the cases are different between generations... but ****, that font is definately different.

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    I would say left one is fake... the logo looks like a mix of Gil Sans and Helvetica...

just a guess...

4. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    right looks fake to me, faded print

5. Dice

Dice Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    One on the right is real, the "i" on the iPod logo reaches all the way to the top.

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    So what does "fake" mean? You didn't get an ipod at all, the ipod was stolen, or it's an ipod that doesn't even turn on?

7. buttons

buttons Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Burlington
    You didn't open it to see first??

8. hydo1

hydo1 Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Portland
    I usually only get used electronics/games/etc from Craigslist people.... buying something new usually means it is either fake or stolen.

9. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    NC
    I would say the real one is on the right the "d" in iPod is like the touch case I have on my desk.

10. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    if I were hustling fake ipods, I would spin the apple so the bite was on the left. That would be my MO

sorry you got ripped off dude.

11. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

does it work? if so then count yourself lucky. my wife has the real one and it sucks, had to return one and the other still has issues....

12. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    It's a fake, total fake or a clone, whatever they call it. Doesn't hold a charge very long, i'm talking minutes before the cheap thing says "Bye Bye". Scroll wheel hesitates to function, itunes on desktop doesn't launch when plugged in, what else, ahhhh and very, very limited function. I shot a few emails to this crook, but not getting any response. The one ipod on the left in the pic in 1st post is the clone. Note, the "d" "0" and "a" is significantly different. Also, the apple logo doesn't sit on the "baseline" with ipod nano on the clone. I'm gonna wait for this SOB to respond. I requested that he give me my money back and i will give him back the clone ipod. Trying to see what my options are right now. Have a few more pics of this "Clone" Note: designed is misspelled.

Attached Files:

13. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  14. buttons

buttons Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Burlington
    don't hold your breath while waiting. :thumb:

Should have opened it up in front of him before giving him the money.

15. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    NC
    I would give it a few days and get a friend to call him, if he has another set up somewhere to met him. If he doesn't have one he may have got scammed and just wanted to pass it off.

16. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    sell it on Craigslist!

17. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    ROFL. i got an iphone for sale.

18. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    damn thats messed up. Thanks for the warning though. I hope you run into that guy again in the future.

I have the same ipod nano. (the real one) How much was he selling the fake for?

19. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Hey I need to order 1.000 banners and need them send to Nigeria...just asking.