• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Shapeoko benchtop CNC. Anyone else using this?

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
I have recently purchased the Shapeoko router for my shop. Turned out to be a good purchase. It cost less than my vinyl cutter. At $1,800 definitely worth a look. Comes as a kit and has a 33" x 33" cutting area. I think the z axis has 4". Here are some images of the table and a cool little routed sign I made with 1" thick Sintra.

I wanted to purchase a full size commercial unit but decided I'd give this a try to see if cutting my own letters would be a good fit.

Weblink
https://carbide3d.com/shapeoko/

Thanks!
Dennis

router.jpg router1.jpg m2.jpg m4.jpg

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
Here is another sign I have made with the Shapeoko
IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_7007.jpg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Man, that's impressive work you're putting out!! Top notch.

How was the assembly? Was it hard to get it producing accurate results like that? For that price it definitely seems worth checking out.

Thanks for sharing!

Rocco G

I myself had looked at this unit but didn't get back the initial phase. Will it work with software like V-carve pro from Vectric or even Aspire? Will it do any 3D or "2.5D" work? For example on the Moonshine sign, could you have had the machine cut the white of the letters as a raised section without having to make it a separate layer of material? Or is it just limited to doing flat cutouts? This looks like, for the price, a good intro to CNC. I mainly do electrical signs and have someone to do my routing (for things like push-thru lit faces) but want my own machine for 3D work.

Thanks
Rocco

RatherDashing

I have two Nomads, which are the small desktop enclosed units by the same company. I want more work area, but don't want the mess inside a classroom. I like the company and the products.

What material are you using for that sign?

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
Man, that's impressive work you're putting out!! Top notch.

How was the assembly? Was it hard to get it producing accurate results like that? For that price it definitely seems worth checking out.

Thanks for sharing!

Actually it was pretty easy to get good results. I'm not real handy with tools but I assembled in half a day. I have no previous experience using a router although I have always worked in shops that had a cnc but I worked in the design department so I've never ran one of these. I was not sure it this would be a good tool for my one man shop but I figured it was $2k. If it did not work out it would not be the end of the world. I've had nothing but success with this machine. I mainly cut 3/4" and 1" PVC. There is a bit of a learning curve learning new software. You have to wrap your head around 'feeds and speeds' controlling how fast the router moves and how deep it cuts. There are different router bits that you have to figure out. I've been using it for about 5 months now and I've probably invested $4k in the machine and material and router bits, teaching myself to use the machine. Now I am good to go.

It is capable of 3D machining not just 2D cuts. I was using the software that came with the machine but about to purchase Aspire VCarve Pro for $700. I should be able to cut prismatic letters.
I purchase a bunch of letters from Gemini and Steel Art and now I can cut my own. Now I have to figure out how to paint letters.

About to do an article in SignCraft about this machine.

Stanworthsign.com

Attachments

• _DTS4285.jpg
    _DTS4285.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 399

DStanworth

Stanworth Sign
Here is a project where I cut 1/2" thick black PVC letters. Then I ran painters paper thru my plotter with a sandblast blade and made an installation pattern.

IMG_7383.jpg
IMG_7384.jpg

strypguy

Amazing work. I just got my Shapeoko XXL setup. I'd love to know more about your bits, speeds, and feeds for PVC and acrylic. Also, where are you getting the PVC and acrylic? I'm new to CNC as well but have been playing around and learning the included software and an older version Aspire, 8.0 from a friend. You can private message me if you like, Thanks, John

Check out ToolsToday Their instagram account has a lot of CNC work. Their shop guy is just setting up this exact same machine to use in their shop. He does some really good stuff, might want to give him a follow. Been looking at one of these for my house.

player

Don't forget about the 5 micron dust particles that will kill you. Professional dust collection, ventilation and air makeup system is required. CNC machines pose a health hazard.