• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sharing art with Competition??

GoodPeopleFlags

In this case, like others have stated, send a low res .jpg or charge a transfer fee. In the future, CHARGE FOR LOGO DESIGN! You don't have to charge alot, but do charge something. Not just logo design, either. I hope you're charging to clean up existing logos. Then give them a cd of the logo in vector and raster formats and then you won't have this problem. If they lose the cd, charge them $10 - $25 for another one. Otherwise, every time another company needs their logo, they will be calling you to send it.

In a perfect world a signmaker would get paid for logo work?

I had an old crab ass signmaker tell me 20 years ago that I had no eye for logo work... He was right. He helped me along with typefaces and basic layout skills and I have managed to make a living doing the "mechanic" end of the business. When a client askes me to set up a vehicle, banner , or sign of any kind the first question out of my mouth is "Do you have a logo". If the answer is no I inform him that we are a limited facility and I will be happy to introduce himto a professional artist. Sometimes the client understands and sometimes he is looking to pay nothing or little for a professional job.

I will be happy to offer him a "work of art" with some helvetica, and a couple of funky scripts, just to show what little $$$ pays for. Most of the time the customer agrees that the fee charged by a good artist is invaluable.

If you are a professional get paid for your work. I am astounded to this day the crap that is installed because a true professional did not design the artwork. It also helps if the designer knows what the grunt (me) is up against on the install end. I have worked with local ad agencies in my area and they know I will not take work from them and vice a versa. In conclusion Get paid for the talent you have.