• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sharp corner bend in aluminum.

armandolo

Hi,

I have a requirement to make a office sign (wayfinding) where the front of the sign in polyurethane painted 1/8 aluminum that has a sharp bend at the top towards the wall.

Im not sure hot to get that perfect sharp angle. Bending will have a radius which is unacceptable. Any ideas???

Marlene

if you don't have a brake you can call a local heating & ventilating company and ask if they can do your bends. usually the charge is pretty small for this

+1+1+1 for a break. That is what you will need to get your sign correct. Make sure the make up of your aluminum can handle being bent. A lot of aluminum will crack when you try to put a 90 on it.

armandolo

Break can't do a sharp corner though especially on 1/8 thick piece can it? The corner needs to be a sharp corner almost like an extruded alum angle (no radius or 1/64th radius)

AF

The only way to get a sharp corner is with an extrusion. If you need quite a few of them, find an extruder with low die charges and a low minimum weight per order and have them quote it. In reality, once your client sees the high cost of an extruded corner versus the 1/8" radius corner from a brake they will likely choose the brake metal.

Just ask around for someone that has a brake that will work up to 16ga. Most brakes should be able to handle that piece of aluminum. There might be a tiny radius. I would find a metal shop. Not a HVAC shop because they can bend it but they bend for their own needs. A metal shop will have more knowledge of what they can do and what the end product will be like.

rjssigns

Without seeing the layout its tough to give a solution. Given what I think I know(which ain't much) I'd use pieces of aluminum angle and TIG them together.

Marlene

Just ask around for someone that has a brake that will work up to 16ga. Most brakes should be able to handle that piece of aluminum. There might be a tiny radius. I would find a metal shop. Not a HVAC shop because they can bend it but they bend for their own needs. A metal shop will have more knowledge of what they can do and what the end product will be like.

if you find a HVAC shop that makes their own duct work I should have said. we have all our bends done at our local HVAC shop