• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sheet Cut

CanuckSigns

Out of curiosity, on a graphtec FC8600, when you use the sheet cut option on the front of the machine, is it supposed to cut the sheet with the plotter blade? I just noticed mine does and it can't be good for the blade or cutting strip, i was under the impression this machine had a dedicated knife for sheet cutting?

Anyone else have this issue?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a Roland, but it is indeed a separate blade from the one doing contour cutting.

It's bottom of the cutting head on the left. It's a wheel that goes into the slot in front of the cutting strip. Check the next time you do it that the actual pen is touching the material. As it activates the cutter wheel the pen does move down some but it doesn't actually touch the material. It could look like it's doing the cutting but not actually touch. From what I understand there is no way to tell the machine to use the pen instead of the wheel to cut. So I find it hard to believe that the pen is actually doing the cutting.

CanuckSigns

It's bottom of the cutting head on the left. It's a wheel that goes into the slot in front of the cutting strip. Check the next time you do it that the actual pen is touching the material. As it activates the cutter wheel the pen does move down some but it doesn't actually touch the material. It could look like it's doing the cutting but not actually touch. From what I understand there is no way to tell the machine to use the pen instead of the wheel to cut. So I find it hard to believe that the pen is actually doing the cutting.

I found it hard to believe myself, but sure enough, when it does the cross cut, it's the blue blade holder that comes down and cuts the vinyl over the cutting strip, I have a call into graphtec now to see what's up. I can't say for sure if it's always done this, but I just noticed it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, but how would it cut things like banner material or other thick materials ?? Doesn't seem possible.

Something is wrong. The mechanism that lowers the blade is connected partially to the one that lowers the cutting wheel. There is an issue inside of your cutting head I believe. Interested what happened.

Gino - I don't believe you can cut things like banner material on the plotter. Even with the sheet cut option. I know for a fact prismatic materials will not cut on with the sheet cut option. The rolling wheel just rolls on top of the media and doesn't cut it. I believe it's just spring tension that holds the roller down.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our sheet cut feature will cut anything (supposed to be in) when you hit sheet cut. That's why I said, how does it cut banner material or other heavy stuff using a regular die-cutting blade ?? However, maybe the graphtec is different in that respect. Is it a printer, too ?? When you print banners, how do you release it when finished ??

Charlie J

I've had this happen on one of my older machines, an FC8000. The only thing that fixed it was replacing the board.

ikarasu

Try turning it off and then on again.

Sometimes ours glitches and the blade holder will lower and lift with the crosscut blade.

It may look like it's doing the Cross cut... But it shouldn't be. Odds are it's lowering with the Cross cut blade.. but it's still the crosscut blade doing the work.

Your blade should only be out a hair... Not deep enough to cut through backing even at the highest force. Our regular vinyl blade is out so little you can barely feel it when running your finger over it.

Remove the holder, do a crosscut and see what happens... I'm betting it still does it!

CanuckSigns

Try turning it off and then on again.

Sometimes ours glitches and the blade holder will lower and lift with the crosscut blade.

It may look like it's doing the Cross cut... But it shouldn't be. Odds are it's lowering with the Cross cut blade.. but it's still the crosscut blade doing the work.

Your blade should only be out a hair... Not deep enough to cut through backing even at the highest force. Our regular vinyl blade is out so little you can barely feel it when running your finger over it.

Remove the holder, do a crosscut and see what happens... I'm betting it still does it!

Came in this morning, fresh boot up of the PC and the plotter, took the blade holder out of the machine completely and did a cross cut, nothing cut, it went through the motions but didn't cut, so it's definitely using the vinyl plotting knife to cut.

There is a button on the left side of the carriage inside of the hole. Take the cover for the carriage off. Take a look at when you press the cutter if the blade moves together. There is a small button on the left side that seems to link the two together. Maybe this could be your issue.

Joe House

Big Easy has it. (Most likely). The mechanism is similar to some cabinet catches where you press in and it stays in, you press in again and it pops out. When it's in, it will link the sheet cut mechanism to the pen block and both will go up and down. When the mechanism is out, the two are disengaged and only the plotting tool goes up and down.
With the power off, press down on the tool holder and see if the sheet cut goes down, if not, use the eraser end of a pencil and press in the square hole on the left side of the carriage cover till you feel a slight click. Now pressing down on the tool holder should engage the sheet cut holder. Use the pencil again and make sure they are disengaged before turning the plotter back on. Then try to do the cross cut. If this doesn't fix it, call your dealer and have them take a look at it.

pepford

Out of curiosity, on a graphtec FC8600, when you use the sheet cut option on the front of the machine, is it supposed to cut the sheet with the plotter blade? I just noticed mine does and it can't be good for the blade or cutting strip, i was under the impression this machine had a dedicated knife for sheet cutting?

Anyone else have this issue?
Hello,

I am having the same issue. Did you resolve it?