• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sheet Metal Edge Bending

TGINC

Based on all of this information, it sounds like it would be quite an investment on our part. If we're contracted to produce 500-2,000 of these per day I think we could justify the machinery depending on the cost. If I were to paraphrase James Burke and look for the right machine, I'd be searching for a "very sophisticated (multi-action) die in a stamping press". Thanks all, and I'm on the hunt.

netsol

You will need a brake press. There are a number of them out there that will do the job. If you have something that is not very big, Harbor Freight has a hand held version.
i love harbor freight for tools i use INFREQUENTLY. OP is talking about 1000 pieces in an 8 hr shift.
the poor harbor freight tool will never see the end of the week
those chinese castings always crack

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Based on all of this information, it sounds like it would be quite an investment on our part. If we're contracted to produce 500-2,000 of these per day I think we could justify the machinery depending on the cost. If I were to paraphrase James Burke and look for the right machine, I'd be searching for a "very sophisticated (multi-action) die in a stamping press". Thanks all, and I'm on the hunt.
Let me clarify...

It may require several multi-acting dies...each in their own hand-fed stamping press. For high production rates, a "transfer press" and a progressive die would be the Cadillac version (costing hundreds of thousands...perhaps millions of dollars). Transfer presses pick up the part and automatically advance it to the next stamping station after each cycle.

If I were going to run them, I would outsource the flat painted blanks and set up a work cell consisting of two or three hand-fed presses. Either way you look at it, you had better hold onto your hat. The machinery and production tooling of this caliber is very expensive...especially when it involves multiple part sizes.

Seek out a very competent tool maker who specializes in this type of work (folding dies).

JB

This is an exceptionally good video of a very complex multi-action progressive die doing a folding operation. The first ten seconds sounds like it's narrated by Cheech and Chong!

For the uninitiated, this really is an amazing piece of workmanship. In just a few strokes of the press, a piece of flat stock is pierced, lanced, swaged, roll tapped, sheared, formed, folded and locked (crimped). Getting the sequential timing of all these operations to coincide with the press stroke is just mind boggling.

Last edited:

TGINC

Let me clarify...

It may require several multi-acting dies...each in their own hand-fed stamping press. For high production rates, a "transfer press" and a progressive die would be the Cadillac version (costing hundreds of thousands...perhaps millions of dollars). Transfer presses pick up the part and automatically advance it to the next stamping station after each cycle.

If I were going to run them, I would outsource the flat painted blanks and set up a work cell consisting of two or three hand-fed presses. Either way you look at it, you had better hold onto your hat. The machinery and production tooling of this caliber is very expensive...especially when it involves multiple part sizes.

Seek out a very competent tool maker who specializes in this type of work (folding dies).

JB

This is an exceptionally good video of a very complex multi-action progressive die doing a folding operation. The first ten seconds sounds like it's narrated by Cheech and Chong!

For the uninitiated, this really is an amazing piece of workmanship. In just a few strokes of the press, a piece of flat stock is pierced, lanced, swaged, roll tapped, sheared, formed, folded and locked (crimped). Getting the sequential timing of all these operations to coincide with the press stroke is just mind boggling.

The video is impressive. I am thinking hand-fed is the way to go to start out with. Thanks for the education.

TGINC

James Burke, do you have the name(s) of any machine manufacturers that we might start contact with?