Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheet Storage

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by jasonx, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    We're starting to get bigger volumes of jobs and need more sheet storage.

Are you guys using cantilever racking? Pallet racking?

Got any pics?

I've got one bay of cantilever racking I put full pallets on but needing a system to hold smaller batches of substrates like 50 sheets etc but want them on their own shelf so I can easily get to everything.

Tags:
  2. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    i've got a 12' x 4' x 126" pallet rack that i'm considering chopping in to thirds to make three 5' x 10.5" tables for the print room. seems there no cleaner or dryer place to store unboxed sheets than the print area. also, i saw this sweet set up on ebay (pic).

Attached Files:

3. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    Gotta make me a couple of those for substrates we only keep 30 or so sheets of.

Cantilever racking is good for when you need to store sheets longer then 8'.

4. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    You can get pallet rack beams in 9' and 10' lengths. We put our 8' sheets on 9' beams to make it easier. Theres a chit ton of it used, or check our buyrack.com

5. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Looks like an old Colorspan Displaymaker.

6. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    I have a small shop, and I have to make use of every inch available. I built a rack that is a 8'-3" long x 50" tall, and something like 8 or 10" deep. I tucked it into the corner, and hinged it on the side that is out towards the center of my shop. I put a wheel on the bottom (but I need to change it to a couple of wheels to ballance better), so when I need a piece of material, I open the garage door, swing it out away from the wall, and slide the material in or out of the rack. I did cut some pvc into 1" pieces, and fit it over a pieces of round emt, and spaced them every 12" on the bottom to roll the material on and off easier.

It works great, other than the single wheel that it wants to rock on. I plan on going back and adding 6 wheels on the bottom so it rolls in and out easier.

7. Richard G

Richard G Member

I took some 2" X 3" Alu. and used some Alumm 4'X4" material and made my own custom tables. One table holds all of the sheet goods 4' X 8' and i got ahold of some architectural drawer fir sign blanks etc
    Table-1.jpg Table-2.jpg Table-3.jpg Table-4.jpg Table-5.jpg

8. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    I like a rack where sheets are stored vertically instead. Makes it easy when you want one sheet that is behind a couple of others... Also with one person you don't have to scrape an edge along another substrate...

9. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

I love the efficiency of this! Great for smaller volume shops.

We use pallet racking just like any other warehouse.